Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Trevoro, you terrify me, what has Heljan to do with this or is it a copy of something you see on the loco?

'No! The problem with Heljan flanges is they derail when going over any slight hump and eight coupled chassis just cantilver of the tracks. Good running is far more important than a small inaccuracy.'

Any way if it comes in too expensive they can forget it, I have 9 of these by Bachman and they are all great, pull the CMX up the 1 in 30, I love 'em but if they are not close in price then it'll flop surely Hornby would not be so dumb!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I have two Heljan O2's and a 47xx plus a Garrett, those two are OK but the O2'd are alright on my tracks but the pony truck on the older ones liked to do its own thing which did not include running on the track barely at all even when the track is all streamline and around R6 it suicides on points until I fitted a wheelset with deeper flanges but I am now very distrustful of Heljan although I would rate the 47xx as quite good their best effort yet so I would rather have Hornby clearances as I always say these have good track manners and work nicely but the Bachman 9F is still the one to beat.

47xx from Heljan

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I have a number of Bachmann 9F's some from my late dad and some I purchased but all are good, just that the Hornby loco has to be good, my Hornby is the Crosti but this has the habit of rail climbing, not really bad but bad enough to be mildly annoying but quite a nice loco overall but the Bachmann locos are really good, one of the dived off the baseboard onto a tiled floor and much to my surprise it fell about 900mm and was moving and it was totally undamaged, beat that if you can!
So I'll buy one of these sometime but I have very high expectations.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You got that right 34C however the Hornby Franco Crosti is different and quite nice, shame I never remember them and I'd like rebuilt Crosti versions which I saw workinmg trains on the Liversedge oil tanker run down the Colne Valley 4 track, and it's a railroad even if it does rail climb a bit. The new Hornby has to be good to dislodge the Bachman version

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I have the highest regard for all my 9 Bachmann 9F's and I cleared out all the Hornby ones later buying the Crosti as it is different, so I'll try one of the new Hornby's and see for myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts