Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My NSWGR Garrett is on the bench again. The little darling has developed another intermitant short, again!

Joining it is A DJH Lickey Banker and DJH BR St4 2-6-0. I'm going to rework the pickup arrangement on the Lickey as the described way of fitting it does'nt account for a new Romford gearbox.
If the Garret picture comes out I'll add some more.
Damn, well no pictures again I keep getting a format error? saying I can't use that image extension. Clues anyone.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
okay I'll try this.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Doug @ 2 Nov 2006, 10:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Images have to have extensions of .jpg, .gif or .png. I think one or two other work too, but some image hosting sites use a URL to link to an image. You need to get the filename to show up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well another go at getting an image in.
[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/Ozzie21trains/H8__1647_with_NSWGR_AD60_Garrett.jpg

Well my Garrett with one of my brass Alleghenies behind it just for a size comparison.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, Thats the Allegheny that's up for sale if anyone is interested. It's DCC fitted, working lights, twin Grizzily Mountain Engineering Chuff cams and a Tsnumai sound decoder. It's a Key model of 86 vintage I think. A$2200 and it's yours.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 9 Nov 2006, 07:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Those are pretty awesome locos Ozzie. Well impressed.
That Allegheny is a stunner.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well here's one. This is a NSWGR C.38 class pacific. The first 5 were built in a streamlined form but I prefer the non streamlined. I hope this one works.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well that one worked so here's a couple more. The Lickey banker under construction. The as supplied pickups arent real good so I'm making new ones.

The front engine of the Garrett under construction.

Same item but with the water tank fitted.

And the rear bunker.

And lastly my old train shed before the US layout was torn up in favour of a british outline layout

And thats me

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Aw Neil, be a man!! You could at least torment her with the picture. I'll send you a better one when I head down south in a few days. I haven't got to many pictures of my locos on this laptop due to limited space.
Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 9 Nov 2006, 17:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tempted though I am Ozzie, I'd better decline that one as I'd be getting divorced if I went for it. It really is a beaut though.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Thanks, I've still got a few things to add, like valve gear, buffers and couplings. The DJH valve gear is supposed to be riveted but I'm having trouble with the solid rivets supplied and iIve run out of hollow ones so I'm using 16BA screws with the heads thinned down. The buffers supplied are shockers so I'm going to try and get a sprung set when I'm in Sydney next week same for the couplings. Apart from that I'll sort out the pickups and add the beading round the top of the tender and fit some new steps to the back of the tender as it doesen't have enough for BR days and fit the head light The Garrett uses etched brass brake gear and it's little finicky to fit and from time to time it touches so it's on the bench to have it all removed and remounted and hopefully it'll stop shorting out.
A front end shot of Big Bertha,

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 9 Nov 2006, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm impressed with the Lickey Banker (Big Bertha) the Garret too photo's add a lot of intrest
thanks

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, if you are considering the Garrett budget around a hundered hours to get it built. I's farly easy to convert to DCC as it's aready supplied with individual pickups but the hard thing is finding a spot for the decoder. When I built the boiler section I made it so the boiler could be seperated from the footplate. Trouble was I was away for a few weeks and when I came back I started to solder all the bits onto the boiler forgetting than I needed it to come apart to fit the decoder into. A few choice words were said that day.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 9 Nov 2006, 17:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I may well do that. Very impressed with the pictures Ozzie. Look forward to seeing more. You might have convinced me to give the Garrat kit a go.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, It's the Footplate Models one. I wouldn't buy the DJH one as it costs a heap more than the Footplate Models one and it's only single motor drive through a Romford gearbox. I've found that the openframe Romford gearbox can be a bit noisy, picks up little bits crap and is messy throwing oil and grease around the place. The NWSL gearboxes supplied with the Footplate kit are fully enclosed and as you can see from the picture they have a nice solid mounting. The only problem is that the 1/8th of an inch axle gearbox is getting harder to get as only thre UK and USA use that size. Most other brass and kit manufacturers use 3mm and I'd like to try fitting a NWSL gear box to my next project, a Standard 4 2-6-0 but I have to find a gearbox first.

Ozzie 21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 10 Nov 2006, 07:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozzie, is your kit the DJH one or the Footplate models one?

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Peter, I noticed in my lastest Model Rail an article on lining out a Brassworks "O" guage A3. The painter used a bow pen to do some of the lining but it seems for the bulk of it, boiler bands and the tender curves he used Fox decals. I've never used a bow pen or lining pen so are curves very difficult to master when using a bow pen.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Beautiful, a lovely piece of work. Are they Ratio kits?

Ozzie21

quote name='pedromorgan' date='10 Nov 2006, 16:57' post='15337']
not finished but done with the bob moore.

peter
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil asked about the C&O Allegheny or H-8 so here's some pictures of mine.

The pair of them sitting together.

This is numbered 1647 and is a good model but not a great one. The overfire jets on the sides of the firebox are too small and the stack is wrong height for a last built batch. The model has one of the best drive systems I've seen in a brass model and is whisper quiet for a split drive. It's powered by a 30mm Cannon motor and was Key Import.

This one is numbered 1601 and is a Fujiyama Crown series model. It is numered incorrectly for it is a last batch build having the overfire jets and the 18inch stack. This is much better detailed model than the Key model but was let down by a noisy drive system. It was so loud you had to shout when it was running. I replaced both axle gearboxes and the reduction/transfer gear box with an after market kit I got from Japan.

A front end shot of 1601. Both models are set up for DCC with individual pickups to all drive and tender wheels, lights and sound with Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders. Chuff is controlled by Grizzly Moutain Engineering cams.

In real life these were absolute monsters with 110,200lbs of tractive effort, estimated 7,000dbhp, 39ton axle loading and an all up weight of about 536tons. This gave the H-8 the ability to 14,000tons at 45mph and speeds of 68 mph were sustained in the flatlands of Ohio with 11,500 tons behind the tender.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, no they are RTR if you can call american brass that. They are terrific models but they are for the most part "collectors items".and most people buy them and leave them in a glass case. Not me if I 'm going to spend that much money on them that are going to run. Try this website if you want a look
http://www.brasstrains.com. It's a fairly good site with a lot of information for the " collector".

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I finally got around to finishing off my DJH "Duke of Gloucester". It's taken a bit of work as some of the DJH supplied white metal castings weren't very good, the Davies & Metcalfe injector for one. As lost waz cast brass parts for British engines are few and farbetween down here I raided my stocks of American and Australian brass parts for suitable repalcements. Mostly it runs fine but it's going to have some tweaking of the front truck to get it to stay on the rails going through curves, not enough sideplay in the bolster? I still have to add builders plates to the tender, lampiron brackets, screrw coupling to the front and it's protector plate but for the most part it's complete. Next trick will be installing a suitable sound decoder with a tri chime Crosby whistle and 3 cylinder chuff.

As you can see the front came off going through the S curve

Ozzie 21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ohh yes but doesn't the picture show up my failings. Look at the angle of those front steps. I'm off to find a pair of pliers and I wonder what I did with the cylinder drain lines as I spent half an hour making them up.
Peter I haven't got a W1 yet and I only have one picture of it that doesn't really show the cylinders. Have SE Fincast cocked them up?.

Ozzie21
PS some more pics on my blog of some Aussie steam.

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 20 Nov 2006, 18:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thats a wonderfull engine ozzie. i have been fidelling with castings too. the cylinders on my W1 are completly the wrong shape!

Peter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.