Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

· Registered
1,275 Posts
I finally got around to finishing off my DJH "Duke of Gloucester". It's taken a bit of work as some of the DJH supplied white metal castings weren't very good, the Davies & Metcalfe injector for one. As lost waz cast brass parts for British engines are few and farbetween down here I raided my stocks of American and Australian brass parts for suitable repalcements. Mostly it runs fine but it's going to have some tweaking of the front truck to get it to stay on the rails going through curves, not enough sideplay in the bolster? I still have to add builders plates to the tender, lampiron brackets, screrw coupling to the front and it's protector plate but for the most part it's complete. Next trick will be installing a suitable sound decoder with a tri chime Crosby whistle and 3 cylinder chuff.

As you can see the front came off going through the S curve

Ozzie 21

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Ohh yes but doesn't the picture show up my failings. Look at the angle of those front steps. I'm off to find a pair of pliers and I wonder what I did with the cylinder drain lines as I spent half an hour making them up.
Peter I haven't got a W1 yet and I only have one picture of it that doesn't really show the cylinders. Have SE Fincast cocked them up?.

Ozzie21
PS some more pics on my blog of some Aussie steam.

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 20 Nov 2006, 18:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thats a wonderfull engine ozzie. i have been fidelling with castings too. the cylinders on my W1 are completly the wrong shape!

Peter

· Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The cylinders on the W1 have a sort of bulge over the LP cylinder. the bulge is completly missing on Se finecasts casings. its not too big a deal just an hour or so with millput and a file. but its a pain in the neck. interestingly the cylinder covers are the right size for the bulge!
Also the whole thing is not quite square but its close enough for me and i think once its painted nobody will notice.
I still concider it a supprisingly good kit for such and unusual prototype.

I wouldnt worry too much about the front footsteps. things never look very good whent the pictures are blown up on screen. but when its painted and you are looking at it in person often it will look perfectly ok. and with the exposed driging wheels who is going to be looking at the front footsteps? i once had a very nice chat with an animator for disney. and he was telling me that the eye is naturally drawn to places with the most detail. he could sneak all sorts of things into the backround of the cartoons and nobody would ever notice! i think the same applys to models. i once saw a very good layout with a very nicely detailed building. my eyes were drawin to it and it looked fantastic. on my secont trip around the exhibition it was much busier and i was on the second row and i couldnt see the building. i was shocked! the fences were bits of card and the hedges were blocks of wood covered in flock!! but oince i could see the building again the illusion was restored.

I think your loco is fine. as for the drain lines, yes you need to look harder!!

Peter

· Registered
1,275 Posts
[Thanks Neil. I've been busy again. After a trip to Sydney, 900klm drive in 10and a half hrs, I got a few bits and pieces mainly a few decoders. I did manage to geta few odds and sods some decals for BR locos, lamps for BR locos, crew,a couple of Bachmann BR MkII coaches in maroon, a BR/SR Q1 and a heap of Parkside Dundas kits . As for the bench well busy again.

Big Bertha now with valve gear. I got to two hundred rivets in Sydney as well so I can put all this DJH valve gear together.

Big Bertha's chassis with an NCE N12SR decoder installed. A nice neat little unit thats quite cheap at $30.

The valve gear. It took a while as those miserable little rivets kept on shearing as piened them over. No wonder they were cheap.

Motor and flywheel. It's something I normally fit, a flywheel, but I thought it might be needed in loco like this.

Pickups for the wheels.

And in close up. They are made from 20thou Phosphor Bronze wire.

Well thats about it. She ran okay prior to fitting of the valve gear so thats next on the cards and then it's just few details and some paint to go.

Ozzie21

quote name='neil_s_wood' date='21 Nov 2006, 08:20' post='16015']
Very nice Ozzie.

[/quote]

· Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I am getting a bit overwhelmed at the moment. i have some GWR 4 wheelers on the go. i have done the cream but the brown needs another coat and i need to finish the lining.
The LNWR coach is comming on (and even though i do say so myself is looking fantastic!)
At the front is a set of 4 radley A-stock underframes. the resin bodies are all done there is just a couple more parts to put on them. the MR clerestories are all but done. they need transfers and there finished.

Then in the red corner there are the other 3 MR clerestories in the rake. they are waiting for some replacement roof parts from Ratio.
3More A stock chassis. they are all done but need the floors sorting out.
Sitting on the platform are the roofs and bogies for the MR clerestories. and my genesis conger set.
at the front are bogies for yet more A stock and F stock.

Peter

· Registered
3 Posts
Nothing very exciting on my workbench at the moment, various Parkside wagons being modified. There's a diagram 1/209 Shocvan with a scratchbuilt underframe, I can't now remember what the original u/frame did to bother me, and a fruit van being converted to an LMS D2108 ventilated van. That was going nicely till I realised that I had used the wrong type of W-iron. I like the Comet etched W-irons because they incorporate slots to solder clasp brake fittings into. Too bad I used the BR ones instead of RCH style. Bah! Go back five spaces....

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys
Just couldnt help admiring your work.
The soldering on the duke is very neat and the valve gear on the 0-10-0 is very fine. realy nice to see suvh good work.

i like to bulit loco's my self. if i can get them any Keysr models.

on my bench at the moment is a J72. + Airfix motorised Drewry shunter and a keyser princess.
I work away from home and find it difficult to find time to work on them. However Christmas is comming and perhaps then i will some time to finish them off.

graet to see some good work.

· Administrator
10,695 Posts
I spotted someone else's winter workbench project late on Monday afternoon:-

I don't know what they've done with the boiler

David
It looks like "Flying Scotsman" is having some major work done.

· Registered
4,545 Posts
Work includes:
smokebox saddle - building up metal where missing due to corrosion, the metal is down to 5mm in places where it should have been 21mm;
rear pony truck - corrections to axlebox horn faces to improve alignment and eliminate a tendency for one of the axle boxes to run hot;
Corroded cylinder block casting - various works to repair.

It is expected that 'Flying Scotsman' will return to main-line running in the first half of 2008.
(Information from the recently published 4472 Express Club Newsletter.)
Regards,
John Webb

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.