Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With impeccable timing from Rails I have received mine.
The blurb mentions the last time Hornby used these coaches was 1973. Does anyone know what company these are based on as I've heard they're not correct although that doesn't bother me

They look different to any other Hornby coach I've come across.

I should say I'm very pleased with it notwithstanding the fact I've not run it yet.
Aside from the usual superb paint job the interesting thing is it seems to be all wheel pick-up with wires to the bogie.
The large driving wheels both have traction tyres no doubt to help with haulage which the Lord of the Isles didn't.
Other points are a 5-pole motor and plastic wheels on the tender.

If you can accept the fact it's a 'retro' model upgraded to a point and not a 'super detail' you'll be very happy.
I am!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Pics, please... It would be helpful, so I can see what we're talking about...

From what I found, they were originally made in the Triang days back in '62 under ref R427 & R428.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The coaches are the Caledonian coaches offered by Triang Hornby in the 1960's and last offered in 1973. They are extremely popular with collectors and Scottish railway modellers who regularly pay upwards of £20 or more for these coach types in mint condition.

What this prooves is that Hornby do have an archive of historic moulds that are still servicable.

They are not the same as the ones in the Thomas range which are ex Colletts.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
229 Posts
These coaches are essentially the Tri-ang Mk1's but with new sides and no interior. I have the 2007 versions and the finish is superb.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
These carriages appeared in the 19th Edition Hornby Railway Catalogue as late as 1973 priced at £ 1.20 each.

Incidentally they were also produced in LMS Red with Yellow linming R747/R748; Southern Olive Green R749/50 anfd GWR Chocolate & Cream R 26/27 o 026/027.

The 18th Edition Triang/Hornby Catalogue show the GWR coaches as being available "Early 1972"., the LMS & SR as available but the Caledonian Coaches are NOT shown in the catologue.

I was always under the impression that they were (originally) intended to represent the two Caledonian Railway Coaches that were restored/repainted to operate on Railtours with CR 123 in 1958.

Regards

Ian Breeden

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Picked mine up at a recent toy fair and have to agree 100% with ozwarrior. Showed the set to a Triang expert (believe me when I say a real Triang expert!!!) and he had to admit that the loco finish was a million times better than anything done in Triang days. And he found the finish on the coaches absolutely breathtaking!

The only downsides from his point of view was that it was not "Made in England" nor did it have an X04 motor. I did remind him that it would probably run a lot better than any previous example and he begrudgingly agreed that this was likely to be the case!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Had the Caley pulling a 10 coach rake tonight and it seemed to have plenty left to pull more. Not too sure if the Caley ever prototypically pulled 10 coaches but if you have a gradient on your layout then the Caley should be fine.

All future models utilising the slightly revamped 4-2-2 chassis should have similar pulling power which might now give Hornby's Class 60 diesel competition!

In fact I am wondering if this Caley is Triang's best ever pulling 4-2-2?

Very probably!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Jan 2008, 08:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had the Caley pulling a 10 coach rake tonight and it seemed to have plenty left to pull more.

Wow! Do traction tyres make THAT much difference?

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 5 Jan 2008, 23:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow! Do traction tyres make THAT much difference?

They certainly do - it is the only way that Hornby could release the new model with the 3 Mk 1 derived Caley coaches and the GWR Clerestories that will appear with the 2008 "Flying Dutchman" pack. I just wish it had metal tender wheels with electrical pick-up, as the traction tyres cause it to stutter badly when going over the larger Peco points.

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I just wish it had metal tender wheels with electrical pick-up, as the traction tyres cause it to stutter badly when going over the larger Peco points.

You are right Dan. Having put traction tyres on the drive wheels and only having pick up on the bogies and small rear loco axle set does cause stuttering in certain situations. Any tender steam loco with traction tyres in these days of DCC does require tender pick up, especially when it is a 4-2-2 !

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 5 Jan 2008, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had the Caley pulling a 10 coach rake tonight and it seemed to have plenty left to pull more. Not too sure if the Caley ever prototypically pulled 10 coaches

Certainly not bogies, but possibly mixed four and six wheelers.

Regards

·
Registered
268 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 Jan 2008, 13:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Certainly not bogies, but possibly mixed four and six wheelers.
I think there might be a little confusion here. The Caledonian in question was the unique Single express loco built by Neilson and Company in 1886 and which entered service on the Edinburgh to London expresses. Both the Caledonian Railway and the LNWR, which provided some of the rolling stock for these services, were fairly early users of eight wheeled carriages and "Caledonian Cavalcade" includes a reference to the Single No 123 hauling four eight wheeled coaches during the famous 1888 "Races". It subsequently worked on the Perth to Dundee road, before becoming the official inspection engine and the royal train pilot which took place around 1901.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts