Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the screen icons where the direction is set. these indicators don't change, ( they change the direction ok ) but no matter what way the wiring is connected it still shows the same when powered up. on a test track running left to right, normally the indicator would point to the left.
instead it points to the right. tried turning the wires around and no difference at all. ( polarity ), has anyone else spotted this yet.

john

·
Registered
182 Posts
I stand to be corrected, but I don't think any DCC system will know which way round the track is wired. The arrow pointing to the right is just an indicator for 'Forward', i.e. chimney first for kettles.
Vice versa the arrow pointing to the left is justs an indicator for 'Reverse', i.e. tender/bunker first.

The way in which you wire your track is up to you, but I don't see how any system could detect this.

Ashley

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ashleyh is right, the direction indication is describing the direction of the current selected loco and not the direction of power on the track. That concept doesn't exist with DCC.

The indicated direction will be different for each individual loco.

e.g. Put a loco on the track facing forward moving from left to right. The arrow will will show forward. Pick up the loco and turn it round so that it faces the other way and moves right to left. The arrow will still show forward.
The arrow indicates if that loco is moving forwards or in reverse, not the direction of the track.

With two independent locos moving in the same direction, one facing the opposite way round (running backwards), the arrows will show different directions for each loco, even though they are moving in the same direction.
One is moving forward and the other is moving in reverse.

It doesn't help that several manufacturers have the switch/button and symbol on the screen orientated Left/Right on the handset/console instead of Up/Down. I think that only serves to confuse people.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry lads, the system is working in reverse. say moving loco to the right ( phyically ) to the right, the indicator points to the left, move loco to the left indicator points to the right. if i remember right there was something sinular with the hornby elite.

anyways thanks for the help

john

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
John,

Any DCC system will have the same 'flaw'. Direction indication relates only to the loco selected moving forward or reverse. Prove this to yourself: set a loco running forward, pick it up, turn it to face the other direction, and replace it on the track: it wll again move forward, but now in the opposite direction along the track. The direction indicator on the console will not have changed direction, because the loco is still moving forward.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 17 Dec 2007, 21:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>John,

Any DCC system will have the same 'flaw'. Direction indication relates only to the loco selected moving forward or reverse. Prove this to yourself: set a loco running forward, pick it up, turn it to face the other direction, and replace it on the track: it wll again move forward, but now in the opposite direction along the track. The direction indicator on the console will not have changed direction, because the loco is still moving forward.

***Arrows are, I agree, simply a sign it hasn't been thought through....

The intelligent unambiguous approach is either have FWD and REV show up (as on NCE etc) or perhaps for the graphic capable controllers an image of a loco with an arrowhead appearing at one end or the other depending on the direction set....

Richard
DCCconcepts.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have to agree with Richard here. Left and right arrow is going to confuse the guys with plank layouts.

Remember Gary had the same concern with the Elite, but I think there was a problem there with the default direction too, i.e. locos starting off in reverse.

An up and down pair of arrows or another symbol would have been better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i also agree with richard. i switched the track wires around ( polarity ) which made no difference at all, this instead off removing the loco from the track. ashley, doing what you had said would be to run the loco in reverse all the time. i'm planning a double loop with the loco's going in opposite directions. but i want a visual picture of the directions. without having to toggle the direction switch to the opposite direction of the graphic. hope this makes sence.

john

·
Registered
697 Posts
john g, you aren't making sense to me at all.

From what I can see, correct me if I'm wrong, you are expecting the direction arrows to show which direction the train is going on the track, relative to your position, i.e. train goes from right to left, arrow pointing left.

DCC doesn't work like that, and changing over the wire feeds to the track won't make any difference either.

Unless I'm mistaken, please read the replies above, carefully.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick and you are saying the forward arrow points in the opposite direction to the front of your loco, then the decoder needs to be told which end is the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts