Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 80 of 174 Posts
QUOTE (TREMAYNE @ 19 Sep 2009, 12:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi good progress you have good set up there.I notice you are using a H & M duttee. I use one myself but worry about using a 30 year old controller with a metal case and no earth !
Dave R

They are "double insulated" & do not require an earth.

If you are concerned you could use an "RCD" for extra protection, but they are just that "extra protection" - not the be all & end all that some think.

QUOTE (The_Docster @ 19 Sep 2009, 14:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are built to withstand a nuclear holocaust. Mine must be that old too and they still fetch a good sum on ebay. The first thing that goes wrong usually is a loud humming but even then they still work. I know cause i've had 2 do that to me. But I am going to change soon to panel mount gaugemasters. I already have a dual feedback controller just need the transformer now.
Cheers
Alan

That will be the mains transformer laminations loose or the fixings that hold the transformer to the case.

Hi Alan

That platform looks great
Love the cloouring and the very slight curve in it! Brilliant

Kind regards

Paul

Cheers Paul

The colouring as you say is due to Madkitten's painting techniques. I've had a go at this before but her ideas were much quicker. Cheers Nikki.

Just shows how good and useful this forum is.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Great work on the platforms

Nice to see your getting your grandson interested in the layout

Look forward to more progress on it.

QUOTE (The_Docster @ 5 Oct 2009, 18:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers Guys more photo's soon -

And I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Regards

QUOTE (BRITHO @ 8 Oct 2009, 12:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And I'm looking forward to seeing them.

And me!

Kind regards

Paul

Yes! It's been a while but the cold and the work have kept me from my beloved hobby. But now Spring has sprung (That's a laugh there's sleet falling outside at the moment!
) I am braving it back out to the shed with my trusty heater and fleece.

I have been doing a little now and then and have finally mannaged to get the 5 tracks of the station laid, It's all wired up but not sectionalised yet, I can run two loco's in either direction at the momentand I am currently working on the island Platform as the pictures show. Sounds a lot but doesn't actually look a lot.

Once I have finished the island platform, I will begin work on the final Platform and also venture into the realm of ballasting. Having never got this far with any of my layouts I'm really looking forward to this.

Here are some pics to show the progress. Hope you like!

The pointwork at the Station Throat.

Homemade weights to hold down the card whilst glueing

East View of the Station Throat

View of the Branchline Platform 5

I'm still learning especially with the painting techniques. I hope to have my station and surrounding area as grubby as real life. Although I won't be doing the same to the models, I still can't bring myself to weather them Sacrilege

Cheers

Alan

Quick Weather Update:- The sleet has just turned to snow -NO MORE PLEASE

Looking good Alan. I'm with you on the weathering issue. Goods wagons, yes, but locos and carriages uh, uh. Just can't bring myself to do it.

I think the novelty of balasting might wear off a bit after you've done a few metres of track and got some stuck in point mechanisms

QUOTE (The_Docster @ 21 May 2009, 09:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A wee update!

The inclines are made but I've still got a bit of trackwork to do on the storage yards and a few other bits and bobs, i.e. wiring to my control panel, track, points etc.

So I thought I would try my hand at a little video to show an engine going round what track I have laid. I bought a Lima Class 20 from Ebay for a song and I thought I would use this as my subject. However this was a story in itself. Watch the vid then read on!

Oh Yes indeed! It ran very well that first day. But the second day it began to judder and stall. I was annoyed

On close inspection I found that the tiny gears were slipping on the axles of the driving wheels. The tiniest spot of Super Glue and a lot of swearing later ( I've got big hands you see!) It ran as sweet as a nut and I'm happy again.

As was mentioned on another topic about the Bachmann 20 I think I'm going to detail this as I got it very cheap. But that's probably a few months down the line (pardon the pun
) as I need to continue with the layout itself. So back to underlay, track pins and wire, - I've got a railway to build.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan nice progress strange you should mention the Lima Class 20, I bought one brand new years ago and it just sat in its box as I had no layout to run it on.

I have recently started building a new layout and I thought I would test all the engines that I had on a simple oval on the floor, all the engines ran fine except the Class 20 and it sounded just as though the gears were not meshing, may have fresh look at it now, I also have a Bachman 20 there is no comparision between the 2 of them

All the best Robert

Discussion starter · #77 ·
QUOTE (craw @ 29 Mar 2010, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Alan
Just so you do'nt feel to sad it's snowing in Glasgow
and I am just through the tunnel.
John

Howdy Neighbour. Don't you just hate the snaw!

And Robert, Superglue'll fix it.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan

Just got your reply notification (I've been at work for the last few days). I must say it's great to see you being able to do some more on the layout mate. It looks great what you have done so far. I do like all that point work at the station throat area

Please keep the picture updates coming Alan. Nice work mate.

Kind regards

Paul

Discussion starter · #79 ·
12 Days ago It was Snowing! The Last 2 Days I feel like I'm living in Spain! What a difference. So what have I been doing? Well ballsting was going to be my next task but I thought I would have a trial run at that with a plank and some scrap rail before I have a go at the real thing, so I haven't got round to it yet.

HOWEVER!!! The Platforms are finally complete and painted so I have begun construction of the walls of the station. I'm using a base of 6mm ply which I am going to laminate with plastikard which I will scribe myself. I was going to use embossed card but there is nothing really comes close to the red sandstone I am looking for. The blocks I'm trying to simulate are approximately 18" high and can be up to 6' wide. In "OO" this equates to 6mm high and up to 24mm long and lintels are even longer.

I've made a paper template to help guide me through the construcion process. I made it on Coreldraw, which I find to be an excellent tool for planning

So here are the pics of what's been done so far.

Paper Template for Station Wall

Marking Out For Cutting

Windows Cut out and Everything Smoothed and Sanded

The Station Wall in Situ

View from The Inside Of The Station

And I couldn't resist a little video to see how a train looked aginst the backdrop. Can't wait now till it's laminated and painted?

Cheers

Alan

61 - 80 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.