Model Railway Forum banner
161 - 174 of 174 Posts
Looks just right to me Alan

Kind regards

Paul

I had gotten as far as reading about the mortar detail and was incredibly impressed. Now that I've read it's all hand carved paper with dry brushing I'm even more impressed. Nice work. Wish I was at your level of craftsmanship.

hmmm.. ball point eh? May have to give it a go on a tester piece of card.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm really enjoying this part. It's very hard to get resources to fall back on as in the 70's and 80's they sandblasted and cleaned up a lot of the old buildings and there was never any steam trains or coal fires to dirty them quite as much again. There are a few examples about still but they are mostly yellow sandstone so I'm working a lot from memory.

QUOTE (traingeekboy @ 17 Nov 2011, 01:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wish I was at your level of craftsmanship.

hmmm.. ball point eh? May have to give it a go on a tester piece of card.

Listen mate I'm just feeling my way through this and experimenting using ideas I've seen in the past and stuff I've seen on this forum. I've had many disasters but everything has led me to this. Perseverance and patience is what it takes. I've seen guys on this forum do things in days and it takes me months. So just keep going. To quote an old saying " If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again."

BTW the ballpoint leaves quite a wide groove and can look a bit overscale.

I've just spent half the morning reading through the whole of this thread and found it a real inspiration. The method for making stonework is a real success, well done!

My model railway "career" is just starting and have, to date, only made up a couple of buildings from Superquick.

All the best, William.

Looks great - even reminds me of the country stations along the Leeds to Ilkley line we took on the DMUs as kids in the summer. As others have said - just getting the card on the mat and making a few score lines is a start - will be enhancing my Metcalfe kits with this technique as it looks great and they were realling starting to bug me with their flat appearance. Great stuff - thanks again.

BTW - spend the other weekend at the Bluebell and photographed all their metal advertising signs. Am going to order some decal paper from http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/default.aspx and print them out for use on these stations...

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll be continuing with the other walls in the station then hopefully finally moving on to the overhead station and gangways to the platforms. My brain is a flurry with ideas on how to do this. I am definitely going to be making the building using the mounting card but it will all have to be pre-scribed before assembling and detailing. I think I've got the winter months occupied.

Keep us posted about the decals Reddo!

Hi Alan.

Can I ask what gauge card used for walling, looks really well. When that stone is cleaned in real life it is actually quite stunning in appearance.It`s awe grand bit owe work you are doing.

cheers rab.

Discussion starter · #174 ·
Unfortunately guys the layout is in bits. I don't know if you noticed my other thread but I was attempting to move to the loft when work and life got in the way. I am just clearing up from a rewire of the whole house and had to re-lay the boarding and carpet on the floor. When it's ready I'll take some photos and post them on the other thread. As I am not going back to the shed for this hobby I guess that this thread is finished

Cheers to all who read and commented and keep an eye out for post in the other thread b

161 - 174 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.