Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst thinking about another topic it occured to me that the German public view German railway modellers somewhat differently to the British publics perception of British railway modellers.

I want you all to imagine what would happen in Germany if a German TV soap carried a similar storyline to that of Coronation Street a few months ago...

Why is this?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"German railway modellers somewhat differently to the British publics perception of British railway modellers."
its not just railway modellers. its hobbies in general. i think brittish culture has evolved to concider anyone that dopes anything out of the ordinary to be freaks. i have many active hobbies. i do stained glass and mosaics as well as collicting stamps and they all have the "sad" image.

I genuinly think this is bought about buy a sence of people own inadequacy. I remember when i have a couple of visitors and they arrived just as i saw soldering together a tiffany lamp and they both said "oah how wonderfull" and commented that they could "never do anything like that". of course what they really ment was that they had "never tried anything like that" and within about an hour they left with a very respectable window (about 30cm square) that they had made and were both very happy with.

I have no idea why this is the case. Germany has a hobby culture that the UK lacks. i think the US is going the way of the UK and i wonder if europe (including germany) will follow.

I do find it more than a little distressing that railway modellers are concidered sad buy people who seem to do little more than watch TV.

I wouldnt mind getting the opinion of an expert to find out who are the crazy ones-us or them?

Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 7 Sep 2006, 14:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>German TV Soaps would have the modelers running their trains in the nude.

Thas has to be the funniest post I've read on any forum this week (and I'm a member of a lot of strange forums). Thanks.

James

·
Registered
342 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 7 Sep 2006, 15:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>German TV Soaps would have the modelers running their trains in the nude.

Remind me not watch any german soaps then
the thought of middle aged german men running around in the mood well it's just put me off my dinner

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE the thought of middle aged german men running around in the mood

Are German soaps really like this?

A question from a very innocent Brit who is constantly being told he should get out more!

Jack Duckworth playing with a trainset as described above would be enough to put people off the hobby for life!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 7 Sep 2006, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"German railway modellers somewhat differently to the British publics perception of British railway modellers."
its not just railway modellers. its hobbies in general. i think brittish culture has evolved to concider anyone that dopes anything out of the ordinary to be freaks. i have many active hobbies. i do stained glass and mosaics as well as collicting stamps and they all have the "sad" image.

I genuinly think this is bought about buy a sence of people own inadequacy. I remember when i have a couple of visitors and they arrived just as i saw soldering together a tiffany lamp and they both said "oah how wonderfull" and commented that they could "never do anything like that". of course what they really ment was that they had "never tried anything like that" and within about an hour they left with a very respectable window (about 30cm square) that they had made and were both very happy with.

I have no idea why this is the case. Germany has a hobby culture that the UK lacks. i think the US is going the way of the UK and i wonder if europe (including germany) will follow.

I do find it more than a little distressing that railway modellers are concidered sad buy people who seem to do little more than watch TV.

I wouldnt mind getting the opinion of an expert to find out who are the crazy ones-us or them?

Peter

Listen Peter I have had exactly the same experience. I also do a wide variety of crafts as well as railway modelling and it's just that most people can't be bothered. Britain is reknowned for having many excentrics who are into hobbies or interests that are unusual. My wife used to do the stained glass thing but she never got to the level of doing a Tiffany lamp unfortunately.(real shame as I love them). It's just that some people are artistic or good at making things and others aren't. I think the sad image comes more from the train spotter thing. I reckon it's a defence mechanism employed by the useless and lazy to protect themselves from a sense of inadequacy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
German soaps

Soaps are meant to have a comedy element, which means that they wouldn't exist in Germany.

Now naked Germans (female of course) that's a different subject ... and it sure ain't soaps or comedy.

·
Registered
342 Posts
QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 8 Sep 2006, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>German soaps

Soaps are meant to have a comedy element, which means that they wouldn't exist in Germany.

Now naked Germans (female of course) that's a different subject ... and it sure ain't soaps or comedy.

As long as they're not old women

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,947 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 7 Sep 2006, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wouldnt mind getting the opinion of an expert to find out who are the crazy ones-us or them?

Peter
Expert opinion. It's them

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 8 Sep 2006, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>German soaps

A comedy element, I thought Eastenders was a soap? A good game to play with Enders is count the number of seconds to the first scowl or black look, this means you can turn it off after no more than six seconds.

Laurie

OMS: Pholcodene Troubadours - The shoes the thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts