Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The great central is the only double track railway in the country and as i am a member of the railway and only live 3 miles from i wondered if any of you have visited it? if you have i would like to hear your opinion!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've been dragged along to the Thomas day by my 3-year-old and he wants to go to the next one next weekend. It has a huge amount of main line atmosphere, to me the double track and authentic signalling etc really sets it apart from all the other branches and downgraded main lines on the preserved network. Just wish my next trip could be on a day when the trains don't have faces!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
As my last visit was about 20 years ago I'm not really qualified to comment.

Must make a return soon though - my last two (& only one this year) have been NVR (& very saddened at the state of the "foreign" locomotives) & a day on the RHDR with SWMBO (her call actually) - best of all - she paid - thanks Maggie.

So many places to visit, so little time.

·
Administrator
9,859 Posts
My wife and I paid a visit in May / June. We missed the signs in Loughborough and ended up at Quainton Road instead but that was probably just as well as I suspect the parking is easier there? We arrived late-ish in the afternoon so we really only had time for a return trip to Loughborough. Oliver Cromwell was running that day but our timing meant that we literally saw it "in passing".

It is certainly a different experience travelling a double track line rather than a single.

Whilst there was nothing "wrong" with our experience, I don't think we will be rushing back. It's quite a long way from where we live. Other choices for us and we have been to them all recently are Watercress, South Devon, Bluebell and Severn Valley. My favourite is still the SVR but that's quite a trek too. Why the SVR? Partly it was the first preserved railway I ever visited back in the late 70s, and partly because there seems to be a lot to do.

David

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'll let you know after I have visited with my "charge" later this month! Looking forward to spending some quality time with Tornado at Loughborough.....

·
Administrator
9,859 Posts
I like your new avatar 60134

David

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i can't wait for to see Tornado next week! Does anyone know what day it will be delivered to the GCR?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.