Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'll confess this is not an original idea nor is it an original way of going about it, but what the heck? It looked like a good idea an if my results match the inspiration I'll be happy.

Right, that's the disclaimer out of the way, now for the project.

To convert a Hornby Princess into the Hawksworth Pacific that never was.

Having read the brief article in RM I went off and purchased the book referenced,GWR Stars, Castles and Kings by O.S.Nock. Great book by the way, and a cheap donor Princess from ebay. I already had an old King body knocking around and a Hawksworth tender top so off I went.

The Princess was quickly stripped down and the cab was just as quickly persuaded to part company with the rest of the loco. Likewise the King cab was swiftly removed from the King body.

The King cab was then filed to fit over the backhead of the Princess firebox and offered up, looking good so far.

Now I turned to the tender. In the RM article the Stanier frames were retained to make the most of the pick ups fitted thus providing better running. A bit of fettling later and the body was placed on top and offered up to the loco.
This showed me the cab needed a little lowering. A quick file later and I'm now happy with how the whole thing is sitting.

Other jobs that have been undertaken so far are, the removal of the steam pipe from the left of the loco, GWR locos were right hand drive. The smokebox door has been changed for a King one. The topfeed has been removed, this I'm in two minds about how to proceed on. The article in RM has a compined Topfeed/Safety Valve bonnet but the Artists impression in O.S.Nocks book has only a Topfeed placed forward of where Stanier put it on the Princess. I'm thinking of going the same way as the article as this adds another GWR feature to the loco and so distances it from the starting point.

Still to do, add King cylinders, a double chimney, a pair of GWR whistles, King front bogie, steam pipe to the right hand side and probably some other bits that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Hope you enjoy, as I really am. Can't wait to give this a run on the club layout and mess with some heads

Andii

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
You remind of the kid who lived next door to Woody, Buzz and friends in "Toy Story"

Interesting project. I'm keen to see how it turns out.

David

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 9 Nov 2008, 22:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You remind of the kid who lived next door to Woody, Buzz and friends in "Toy Story"

Interesting project. I'm keen to see how it turns out.

David

I've not seen Tot Story so I'm not quite sure how to take that

Glad you think it's interesting though, as I said I'm having fun so far.

I've not got all the bits I need to finish it, I'm hoping to pick up the missing parts from Warley and I'm glad the Hornby Princess is just a warmed over version of the one they've been selling for years as a tender drive model, made it a lot easier to chop it up, I don't think I'd have had the nerve if it had been to the same standard as say the Royal Scots.

Andii

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Oh well

I was thinking of doing much the same thing - have to think of something else now
Still it looks like you're enjoying yourself!

Regards

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I've not seen Tot Story so I'm not quite sure how to take that unsure.gif
It's a gentle leg pull. I recommend the movie for any one who is young at heart but being Disney it's hard to find copies going cheap.

David

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
'King hell bro, your cracking on with it. Looking good

Now how are you planning on painting it, SWMBO wil have a Montigue fit if you do that bit in the kitchen!

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Registered
92 Posts
looking good andii, cant wait to see it running somwhere finished

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 10 Nov 2008, 22:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>'King hell bro, your cracking on with it. Looking good

Now how are you planning on painting it, SWMBO wil have a Montigue fit if you do that bit in the kitchen!

Brian
CME Milldale

I have a cunning plan for that Bro.
As cunning as a cunning fox who is professor of cunning at cunning university. Or something like that.

Anyway small amount of progress today, work and the club getting in the way.

The Safety Valve Bonnet/Top Feed has been liberated from the King body and fitted to the Cathederal and cladding for the water feed pipes added, need some smaller diameter rod to make the pipes themselves.
The footplate eithersid of the cab on the King was a little narrower than the Princess so that has been extended out a little each side so all lines up and the Princess cylinders and valve gear ahve been removed ready for the instalation of the replacements.

I'm off Wednesday so a trip out for some supplies is in order, I need the afore mentioned rod for the water feed pipes and some microstrip to make some boiler banding with plus some filler of some kind to fill the holes where the safety valves used to be.
The double chimney, whistles and King cylinders will have to wait 'til the exhibition a week on Saturday. Still plenty of other bits to be getting on with though.

Still enjoying the build

Andii

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Do you use a photo of the prototype you are trying to recreate or is it from spec so to speak? It looks like an interesting project chopping up locos into bits and combining them to recreate something elese.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 11 Nov 2008, 00:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you use a photo of the prototype you are trying to recreate or is it from spec so to speak? It looks like an interesting project chopping up locos into bits and combining them to recreate something elese.

Never was a prototype Lancashire Fusilier, Hawksworth wasn't as good at Bulls**t as Bulleid, Merchant Navies are mixed traffic locos, yeah right. So wasn't allowed to build his express passenger pacific, the most that there was is a general arrangement drawing and an artists impression. I'm merely following in the footsteps of another modeller who has an article published in the November edition of Railway Modeller.

Glad you like the idea though.

Andii

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys,

More progress has been made, though there is less to see than the million miles an hour start that I made last week.

Because I've kept the Stanier tender frames in order to retain the extra pick-ups I've had to come up with a way of fixing the Hawksworth tender top on. I glued two pieces of plasticard across the the tender top and drilled through the frames then tapped a thread.

The problum with this was that the original tender weight no longer fitted so I've glued some Liquid Lead into the coal space which will be covered with real coal at a later stage.

I've also fitted the Fire Iron tunnel to the left hand running board, added some boiler banding and fitted the GWR pattern cylinders.

I'm also quite pleased with the gap between loco and tender which still leaves enough play to make it round 2nd radius curves.

By the time some cab doors and a fall plate are fitted this will really vanish.

I also had enough of the Crimson Lake tender frames so I painted them black, much better now

That's all for now folks,

Andii

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Al I don't have a picture I can post without infringing copyright, however you could see if your local library has O.S. Nocks book (see OP)or you could pop into Smiths and look at the November issue of Railway Modeller, there is a brief article by somebody else who has done the same conversion.
Although I knew about the proposed Hawksworth Pacific I hadn't a clue what it would have looked like let alone that it could be cobbled together out of bits of RTR locos.

Andii

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looks good, I'm not sure about the copyright thing though-if it's a copy of the original arrangement drawing it's probably out of copyright.

Regards

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, time for a quick update on my progress.
Warley has been and gone and the remaining parts needed have been aquired.
I got a Hornby Hogwarts Castle body with fittings to donate the steam pipe, Handrail and a pair of whistles for £4
A King front bogie for £3.50 complete with wheels. Both from East Kent Models.
A cast white metal double chimney and name plates for £2 and £3.50 from 247 Developments.
Yesterday I had a good day on the project, I fitted and lengthened the steam pipe, reshaped the handrail and gave the body a coat of paint to see how much more work was needed to get the body ready for a top coat.
Whilst the paint was drying I turned my attention to the King front bogie. The method of attatchment is different between the two models so this wasn't going to be a straight swap. A plate extends from the rear of the King bogie with a moulded pin sticking up to retain it. I cut the pin off then offered the bogie to the chassis with body on to see where the wheels came in relation to the frame cut outs, what do know they lined up. This was going to be easier than I thought. I drilled a hole through the plate and filled the corners to allow enough swing and tried it out. The rear of the bogie was being carried too high so off it came to have the plate thinned, after a couple of further offerings I achieved a satisfactory fit.
I then got interupted by the club night so no more work was done yesturday.

Today I've made a cracking start on the painting of the loco.
First up I had to make a spray booth as I would normaly do any spraying outside in the sumer months, but it's too 'king cold out there this time of year.
A quick trip into work yielded a large crisp box. I cut a hole in the bottom of this and layed it on its side, shoved my loft vacuum hose in the hole and taped a dust mask over the end, JD.

Loco mounted ready to spray in my home made spray booth

I then sprayed the loco andtender bodies with Railmatch GWR post 1928 Green and left to dry.
They dried quicker than expected so I decided to pain the black. I always paint the main loco colour first and then paint the black of the footplate and smokebox etc. And look forward to this stage as the addition of the black to the body colour really starts to make the thing come alive and this spurs me on, too much so sometimes and I end up getting my fingers in places that are still wet.
Not so tonight so I did the firs coat on the buffer beams too.

Apologies for the quality of this picture, camera focusing on what it wants

That's all for today, tomorrow I'm off to get another set of HMRS GWR loco lining as I've run out again and like the idiot I am forgot to look before the exhibition at the week end D'oh

Andii

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Guys

This morning I started by doing the polished metalwork and giving the buffer beam a second coat of red.

I couldn't resist posing it with a coach.

Then it was off to pick up the transfers I forgot to get at the weekend and back home to get them on the loco, a slow task but weel worth it.

Please note the tender top is not secured to the frames, this view shows it up badly

Jobs still to do, fit the name and number plates, fit the whistles, line the cylinders, coal the tender, paint the bogie and pony trucks and then give the whole lot a coat of varnish.

As you can see I'm still having fun doing this project, can't wait to give it a run at the club on Monday.
Andii

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Andi,

I would be careful, some model manufacturer may look at this and go, what a great idea and start producing it.

Now all we need is a shot of the three locomotives together!

John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts