Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The worst loco I've bought to date has to also be one fo the best.
Hornbys class 50 Sir Edward Elgar(pristine condition) This loco is beautifully detailed, as quiet as a mouse and on a straight bit of track could probably pull all the rolling stock I own. But that damn close coupling mech they've fitted will not centre after a curve so it sits in its box.
As for Mainline locos, I have 3 J72s, a std4 and a rebuilt Patriot all of which run very nicely indeed and are 100 times better than the locos offered by Hornby and Lima at that time, as a side note I purchased a Mainline Manor a few years back, a few months later the castings that held the cogs of drivetrain in place broke so I replaced the chasis with a Bachmann one, the loco has less tractive effort now.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 14 Jun 2007, 08:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not familier with the mechanism used by H, but I we have had similar problems with (Bachmann) Liliput rolling stock - the solution we have found (after checking for burrs in the mouldings, springs correct ect) is to apply a touch of silicon lubricant to the mechanism. So far it's done the trick.
(If you have not got any actual silicone lubricant many household spray polishes have enough silicone content to do the trick.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go. I had heard that graphite could be used as a lubricant so I ground up a little 4B pencil lead and tried that to no avail so I really hope this works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.