Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Perhaps the manufacturers should enlist the help of some of the more puritanical nit pickers amongst the modelling press before releasing new models into the shops. All anyone in the press says on the subject of the mock-ups when they are seen at exhibitions is usually very positive. Are the clangers dropped after the mock-ups are released or is it that reviewers don't get the same access to them as they do the finished article.
I'm surprised that the class 33 was so bad as to warrant the first single yellow rating i've seen in model rail. Even the Bachmann 57 was only good enough to get double yellows.
I believe a certain more critical publication has been threatened with legal action in the past when approaching bachmann about errors on a loco.
It don't know which loco it was but all i'll say is the peaks were notably absent from review when launched in any magazine.
Why if reviewing a loco can't they take the trouble of finding a suitable photo taken from a good angle to put the point across(stand the model next to the real thing). I suppose there's a danger of us finding out how trivial some of the criticism really is.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't know whether its purely a diesel thing and because so many of the prototypes that models are based on are still in existance and easier to get pictures of but it seems to me that i never read many negative comments about new steam releases reviewed by magazines and when there are they seem to be almost questioning whether the reviewer is right about an error things always seem a little wrong unlike diesel reviews with glaringly wrong and such phrases used.
Perhaps its because so many diesels are readily available to be viewed that this occurs. In defence of reviewers you have to ask yourself why the designers are so capable of getting things so obviously wrong in certain instances when this is the case. Maybe the first stage of a design should be a trip to a depot or preserved line to get a good idea of what you are building (maybe this is the case anyway).
I don't know whether this is purely a British issue and perhaps a couple of the overseas members might add a few comments.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Here is an example of the self righteous nature of one particular reviewer.
Bachmann class 37/4.... nose too curvy, cab doors too recessed, overall reviewer screaming like a stuck pig about how scandalous and stupid the errors were.

Bachmann retooled class 37/0 reviewer now takes the credit for forcing bachmann to retool this item correcting the too deep cab doors.Totally ignores the fact that the new one looks as bad(in my opinion) due to the front end being changed to fit the bufferbeam cowlings, the model has also lost its directional lighting so should in my view retail for about 8-10quid less.
Reviewer obviously happy to have got his way and the model changed.
Personally i would rather have a few body errors that can be ignored and directional lighting.
I think the magazine in question would do well to divert its energy back to the real railway world that it is supposedly aimed at as the model section of the magazine now accounts for over a third of its pages each issue. If this is not the case they would do well to look at their own failings as a publication before slating other people especially when they don't have the balls to put their real name to such comments instead hiding behind some pathetic pseudonym.

The above are the thoughts of Ian Hirst(my real name) and don't necessarily reflect the views of model rail forum.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Negative reviews are OK if presented factually and fairly. Clearly if something is terrible then people should be told and indeed will probably find out anyway. I mentioned in an earlier posting not recalling a bad steam review, the bachmann A1 springs to mind a couple of years ago due to the motor being incapable of hauling a decent rake of carriages without frying itself. That review was also put across in a nice sort of way without berating the company or the very attractive loco and look where that led. A very costly recall and remotoring exercise.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have to agree with you rail rider, the reviews in model rail are by far the fairest appraisal available at the moment. The problem for me arises with one particular magazine which is a supplement of an increasingly lightweight publication supposedly about the real railway scene, ie Rail Express and its tabloidesque approach to all matters model. No regular letters section in that magazine, merely an acidic view of everything from local newspaper reporters to manufacturers.

Perhaps if they had been reviewing the real things back in the 50' and 60's so much of the garbage churned out for BR at that time might have survived longer than 5 years in service.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (Chrisgus @ 9 Feb 2006, 09:28)If you dislike thia publication so much,why buy it or indeed bother to read it.Ignoring it has to be better for your stress levels
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I originally started reading it back in the days when the main focus of the magazine was the real world of big trains when the modelling bit was about 6 pages long and 4 of those were adverts the other 2 being progress reports on the Mostyn layout. The magazine is now more model than real railway and that is disappointing. I suppose that they got sick of regurgitating the same news and photo's as the half dozen other railway magazines and decided to branch out rather than compete. In light of the amount i spend each month on magazines both model and real railway related perhaps it is time to kick it into touch.

The reviews are one thing but when they see fit to sneer about a local journalist from a local rag getting something wrong about a rail exhibition and brand him a moron one has to wonder whether that is welcome in the model rail press or is another example of self worship from the writers who are very quick to blow their own trumpet "we got bachmann to retool for the class 37/0 being the best example and we all know how much "better" that offering is.Then to print it under the pathetic pseudonym rather than the authors real name just rubs salt into the wound.
That is my main "boiling point" to use their own terminology and i dare say if you plumbed me into a rake of steam heated coaches the passengers'd be stripped to the waist by the time we left the station.

I hope the 3rd attempt at a class 37 doesn't go as badly as the last 2 though i won't hold my breath. I hope heljan rectify the class 33 roof but again i won't hold my breath. I hope rail express sort out their attitude problem and start concentrating on bettering themselves as a magazine before criticising others(getting it in the shops on the day it is due would be a start) but i'll probably die from asphyxiation before that happens.
The sad thing is that one of the best layouts i have seen at an exhibition was reviewed in model rail express and that so far has to be my favourite article in the magazine in its current format. Wibdenshaw which is a what if layout based in my home town of Bradford.A good review of a very nice layout, more like this please!

Perhaps i'll have to start doing the WHsmiths library visit before i buy in future!

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (Chrisgus @ 9 Feb 2006, 09:28)If you dislike thia publication so much,why buy it or indeed bother to read it.Ignoring it has to be better for your stress levels
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose i buy it for the same reason that people watch all that filth and debauchery on the TV then write to points of view about how filthy and debauched it is and how shocked they were by it. I just like to have a moan, lets face it it is Britains number 1 pastime these days. Victor Meldrew syndrome it could be called or grumpy not so old man disease.

It isn't stressful in fact its quite theraputic after a hard days boredom at work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts