Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been reading through the posts concerning German streamliners, and a thougt struck me: Which locomotive do forum users consider to be the most beautiful locomotive ever built, and why?

My personal favourite is the SECR moguls - Tidy, functional and did the job right to the end.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
Gresley V2. Words fail me as to why; it just _is_ the most beautiful steam locomotive I have ever seen.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Whilst being a closet Bulleid fan I must admit that the designs of Sir Nigel Gresley take some beating. They just have curves in all the right places and perfectly encapsulated steams finest hour.

Just imagine what might have been had Sir Nigel Gresley worked for GWR!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
>Just imagine what might have been had Sir Nigel Gresley worked for GWR!
Their engines would have become more efficient
Gresley was not afraid to learn lessons from anyone. Having previously had inconclusive evidence of the benefits of long travel valves, a trial between a GWR (castle I think) and of his early pacifics in the 20's led to a rethink. This led to the A3s, A4s and finally V2s.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I could never settle on any one loco, so my list is, LNER A4, Streamlined Duchess, Norfolk and Western J class, K.Bay S3/6, Henschel Wegmann train, BR06, Vic Rail S class, ICE3.

While I like the Epoch II German streamliners a lot, they are beautiful in an unconventional way whereas most of the UK, US, and Australian ones above are more conventional.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not forgetting the exquisite King George V.

and just to show no GWR blinkers, I'll add Princess Elizabeth.

Not because she was necessarily the best looking loco ever, but because a friend of mine was CME of her overhaul/restoration when at Bulmers in Hereford and I was press ganged into spending a lot of time crawling underneath her with various tools. Dirty, wet, cold and uncomfortable, but totally exhilarating.

Then finally to have the chance to slowly run her up the short stretch of track within Bulmer's factory site when finished. What a loco !!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Mine is the stirling single.

So wonderfully simple and elegant. nothing brutish that so often comes with the later steamers.

8ft drivers and bogie splashers. a right pig to model but what a wonderfull loco.

I am thinking about modelling one though. i will fix the front bogie. so the bogie wheels and the dirvers are on a common frame. the trailing wheels will have lots of sideplay.

Food for thought.

Peter

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
>Mine is the stirling single.
Good choice; of course Gresley was a successor to Stirling

David

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
My vote is for a Castle rather than a King - the King's smaller wheels and outside framed outer bogie axle cramped its style.

For singles I'd put the Johnson "Spinners" first.

SE&CR D Class in full SE&CR livery? A Brighton Atlantic in Marsh umber brown?

Of course my vote goes for a Peppercorn A1 - but then I am a bit biased!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (60134 @ 17 Nov 2006, 15:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My vote is for a Castle rather than a King - the King's smaller wheels and outside framed outer bogie axle
Of course my vote goes for a Peppercorn A1 - but then I am a bit biased!

Why am I not surprised!!

Regards

John

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Whilst been from Yorkshire born, I must say that my vote would be for a Bullied 'Spam Can' either a light or Merchant Navy (come on Clan and hurry bach to the national metals)

Why else would there be so many of them in preservation, either working or under going restoration!!

I long to see the day when I see a double header with 2 'Navies' on a rail tour

Bro Sewell

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I've spent some time wondering about my choice & come up with zilch !

For me its more a case of my favourites ;

Steam locomotives.
DB Class 50
Glaskarten
DB Class 05 (Streamlined)
Chineese QJ

Diesel Locomotives
DB Class 218
DB Class 232 (former DR)
Class 66

Electrics
DB 103
SBB Crockodile
E44

That's abou it (narrowed down to 10) - I also have a soft spot for Bullied locomotives. Many of these favourites are very functional in appearance - that's probably why I like them so much.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Seems we have some common ground there Neil ! How could you forget the Glaskarten - one of the most exquisite locs ever (BTW - have you got one ?)

Is there any chance you could post some pics of the european locos so that people could see what they actually are ?

I'm hopeless at posting pics LOL.

Thanks in advance.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 23 Nov 2006, 12:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've spent some time wondering about my choice & come up with zilch !

For me its more a case of my favourites ;

DB Class 232 (former DR)
Class 66

Forgot to look at this, yup, the 232 "Ludmilla" is a serious brute, I managed to get invited into the cab of one a few years ago when I was in Nurnberg - a most impressive machine. I've also managed to grab a lift on an EWS 66. That was fun!!

Regards

John

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.