Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had this for over a month now and finally managed to run it on my layout but when the loco is going forward the front wheels move backwards and when it comes to bends on the layout it lifts up and derails,and i think it catches the chassis behind it and that causes it to derail so i am just wondering if anyone that has bought this pack has this same problem with the loco.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I have the Northumbrian and have not had any problems on a mixture of Peco code 100 and code 75 trackwork including double slips but I seem to remember threads about front pony trucks derailing in the past. Have you tried the "Search" option to find them?

I think the consensus is that a little more weight on the pony truck either by adding liquid lead or a slightly stiffer spring will do the trick.

David

·
Registered
243 Posts
The plate it moves in has a slot and that looks as if it's to big for the bar that is attached to the pony truck as when the loco goes forward it move backwards,so when it comes to a bend it catches something on the chassis and then lifts up and derails.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My brother in law had a problem with the front boggie on his Hogwarts Express loco. After much time investigating the problem we finally found that one of the sets of wheels were too close together - opened them up to the correct distance and the derailing stopped.

I know it's not the same loco as yours, but it might be worth checking.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It catches on the chassis behind the wheels because they move back when the loco goes forwards but not when the loco goes backwards so i know it catches at the back of them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, at least you know what the problem is then - my last post may help someone else out tho

Hope you manage to sort it out

Chris

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also should it have a spring on it and a washer as i just looked at a hornby service sheet and if it should mine hasn't got a spring or washer.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
No there is no spring or washer fitted to the pony truck on the A4 and it's not a good idea to fit one as the extra spring will lift the front drivers slightly and a loss of tractive effort will result. I can't really see what the pony truck could be catching on unless the truck has been turned round and the mount for the front coupler is catching on the rear of the chassis.Thats about all I can think of.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Dynamite26 @ 20 Sep 2006, 07:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also should it have a spring on it and a washer as i just looked at a hornby service sheet and if it should mine hasn't got a spring or washer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the wheels that are catching on the chassis just behind it as there is to much movement fore and aft in the slot in the mouting plate when the loco it going forward,if it shouldn't have them why does it show on the hornby service sheets on there website that they have them.

So to stop the fore and aft i am going to put a piece of tubing around the shaft on the pony truck to stop it so the wheels stay forward and not catch on the chassis anymore,and i think fitting a small spring will lift the chassis up so it gives the rear wheels of the pony truck more clearance when turning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fixed my loco now after a quick fix and it has done 10 loops of my layout without any problems and what an enjoyment it was watching it go round my layout pulling the coaches.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On mine the wheels were positioned to far back so they catched the chassis so i changed the plastic washer for a metal one so i could move it forward 1mm,and that has cured the problem and the loco has done afew more loops around the layout today.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have had this problem with a few of Hornbys steam trains, notable the Duchess and Princess. I though the problem was due to lack of weight on the front bogie.

Incidentally Hattons are now doing the Northumbrian coaches for 46 quid which is a bargain.
I just bought a set.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I had a look at my "Northumbrian" last night. As before, it ran without any problems. I took a close look at the front pony truck and found that it is about 1mm of fore and aft movement. This is slack is taken up in the first few mm of motion as the train starts. The change is almost imperceptable; I had to look really closely to see it.

I did have another derailment problem, but I'll keep that for a separate thread.

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts