Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She came in yesterday to "Istanbul-Sirkeci" station.

A couple of photo's:

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Great photos Baykal, nice to see these majestic old coaches still running the services they were designed for. We have got the UK one coming through here tomorrow - I think it's being hauled by Tangmere. With a bit of luck dbclass50 will manage to get a shot or two. Apparently the train is running to Canterbury and Whitstable.

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Nice photos Baykal:

Thats one coach set that weathering certainly won't be needed on - even the bogies are looking fresh and clean. What a magnificent gloss on that paint job -everywhere including the step wells!

Richard

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Tangmere was hauling the VSOE but has lost her contract now Clanline is back to her excellent running, rummours that LN might get a few goes later in the year but nothing is conrete.

Tangmere I believe is now out of action following her failure on the End of Southern Steam special last mouth, and they might us the oppertunity to do the next over haul but not sure on this

Brian

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I saw Tangmere at the head of a VSOE train on Wednesday 29th August and if this video is dated correctly Tangmere was in action yesterday deputising for Lord Nelson. There is an indication that 6024 substituted for Tangmere on a recent Torbay express but it looks like that failure was not a major problem.

David

·
Registered
436 Posts
How often does it go to Turkey

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

Ozwarrior, as far as I know once every year at this time. More info :

http://www.seat61.com/OrientExpress.htm#didnt%20know

Thomas, the loco used was a Toshiba E43000 lectric BoBoBo, joint venture of TCDD and Toshiba of Japan.
A pity tough, I would have prefered a steam engine. Guess as it enters every country it is greated and hauled by that countries specific loco. Picture below:

Peter , yes it was among them, Picture of Sirkeci station :Before and present day :

Cheers
Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
That loco sure does show it's Japanese roots.

Regards

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David,

Only Kato has a model of it but all my efforts in finding one was hopeless.

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Interestingly the advert in yesterdays Telegraph for Marks and Spencer featured this train in all it's glory.

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi - you said: Only Kato has a model of it but all my efforts in finding one was hopeless.

*** Try Tenshodo in Tokyo - last time I visited they had a wide range of very similar loco's in Brass - Not cheap but not so much dearer than some of the Trix etc either.

Its worth trying Kato direct in Japan too - they always have a wide range in their showroom that just isn't available in any of their distributors.

Richard

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Peter, I am afraid Tomix doesn't have it.

Richard, I'll check tenshodo but not hopeful.

Here are a couple of photos of it , owened by one modelrailroader who has actually purchased it while visiting Japan.He says model no : 1-303 but can't find it.

Baykal

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife and I were very lucky to travel on the Orient Express from Venice to Calais last summer for our honeymoon, although we're still paying it off. Absolutely fabulous but don't expect to get much sleep!

There are two trains: the blue one is the continental rake, the genuine Venice-Simplon Orient Express (that ran Venice to Calais with us on it), which loaded 16 coaches when we travelled. I have the formation noted somewhere because I would love to run one in N Gauge; the umber/cream rake is called the British Pullman that works the Folkestone to London Victoria section, along with various day trips within the UK.

The VSOE runs Calais to Istanbul once a year, taking a week and is about a £7,000 single ticket. They have their own website that gives details of the trips it makes: www.orient-express.com

The coaches sold by Hornby International in N don't match those in the refurbished train. There is an interesting book about the restoration available - I picked up a copy in the North Norfolk Railway book shop - although it is from the 1980s, it gives some fabulous details about the craftsmanship and attention to detail.

To see the 16 blue and gold coaches attacking a single track curved gradient in the Alps with two red locos on the front and one on the back is quite something! Such a shame that its a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me and I've done it already

Dan

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi again Baykal: You said: Here are a couple of photos of it , owened by one modelrailroader who has actually purchased it while visiting Japan.He says model no : 1-303 but can't find it.

***I actually just REALLY compared the Kato photo's and the pictures of the Turkish / Mitsubishi prototype you listed images of - these are actually VERY different in appearance, and I'd say that if a slightly different look with the B-B-B wheel arrangement is OK, then Tenshodo will almost certainly have a Japanese HO Brass loco that will do the job!

Budget may be another issue though - they are not cheap!!

Richard

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Richard,

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 14 Sep 2007, 03:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***I actually just REALLY compared the Kato photo's and the pictures of the Turkish / Mitsubishi prototype you listed images of - these are actually VERY different in appearance, and I'd say that if a slightly different look with the B-B-B wheel arrangement is OK, then Tenshodo will almost certainly have a Japanese HO Brass loco that will do the job!

Budget may be another issue though - they are not cheap!!

Richard

Haven't checked the links yet ,will do tonight.

The Japanese loco is the Toshiba EF65500, Was highly modifed by Tulomsas ( Turkish state railways ) in a joint venture with Toshiba/Japan and thats the reason of the different appearances with the model. Here is one below from another modeller converted:

Cheers
Baykal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts