Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

To read more about the O. Winston Link you

can visit the museum here.
In Movie Theaters the Week of July 24th, 2006

O. Winston Link took elegant black-and-white nighttime photographs of the last of the great steam locomotives, as they chugged majestically across small-town America in the 1950s.

A curmudgeon and "paranoid-schizophrenic and manic-depressive" (according to one of his closest friends), Link married Conchita Mendoza when he was 73 and she 48. From there the story could be told by Stephen King: Conchita successfully marketed the photographs for increasing profit while becoming sexually entangled with another man - all the time keeping Link captive and incommunicado in his basement darkroom!

"I can't move the sun - and it's always in the wrong place - and I can't even move the tracks, so I had to create my own environment through lighting."

Paul Yule's film is a fascinating investigation into personality, crime, marriage, contemporary art, and the ever-malleable nature of truth.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Thanks a lot for that link to the museum Dennis.
I have actually been starting to model the N&W in a small way and some of the photos this guy have taken are awesome. The pictures of a Y6b thundering down main street is incredible. Funnily enough when I was recreating an American main street I seemed to remember some towns having railroads going down the middle but when I came to think about it I thought maybe thats not right. So it was good to find out that I had not imagined that.

The shop has lots of stuff which I am really tempted by. I was halfway to buying most of their dvd's before I remembered that you have a different TV system in the states. However I will certainly be having one or two of the books and the calender too. The photos are brilliant.

It really is a reminder of how important it is to take photos for future generations to see accurately what has gone before. This guy has really captured his era well. If I could afford it I'd love one of his prints. $4000 is a bit steep though.

Have you seen this film? Does it contain much rail content?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whats the title of the film? I can't see anything listed on imdb? Although its unlikely to get a cinema release down in this part of the world, it might be good to look out for it on DVD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ignore that, its the title of the thread! Just surprised that theres nothing on imdb - usually they are pretty good at this sort of thing.

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
I enjoyed reading the review - thanks for the post

Now to watch out for it on network TV sometime.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts