Reading I have done on this forum has helped immeasurably in knowledge regarding DCC
Today while putting a 4 function decoder in my DMU , replacing the 2 function I had previously installed
I accidentally allowed solder to flow into a gap between the +ve motor terminal and the body of the motor. The amount was so small , I did not even see it on close inspection.
Luckily I still have the borrowed Lenz system , so I put every thing on the Programming track first and Read the decoder with JMRI decoder Pro and do alterations to CV's before giving a test run.
Short on the Programming track - If I had been using my Roco system it would have been another fried Decoder
Having said that I still wired something back to front and put one Red LED in instead of a White in the Passenger area (New Red Light district DMU) its on a separate function from the Main Overhead light so not really important
The Programming track is definitely a saviour
No fried Chip