Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take an early-ish train up to London today (well 06:57 is early to me) and as we passed Old Oak Common at approx 07:45, I noticed the Riviera Sleeper coaches being shunted into the yard with a class 57 at each end. They were in different liveries too. Is this normal practice? It seems rather too much power for half a dozen or so coaches.

David

·
Registered
894 Posts
I imagine one of the locos would have pulled the train into Paddington and, because it is not needed as a standby (there are no loco hauled daytime trains into/out of Paddington) it is kept on the train when it is towed back to Old Oak Common. So whilst it is not needed on the train, it saves two drivers/trains doing the same trip.

The 57s are in the process of being repainted from FGW green to FGW blue.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 11 Nov 2008, 10:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I imagine one of the locos would have pulled the train into Paddington and, because it is not needed as a standby (there are no loco hauled daytime trains into/out of Paddington) it is kept on the train when it is towed back to Old Oak Common. So whilst it is not needed on the train, it saves two drivers/trains doing the same trip.

Another point is it removes the need for a light engine working.

regards

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I really ought to get one of those camera phones for occasions like this.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts