Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the rules for Wiring a DCC layout ?

1, Power (Supply to track)

2, Points (Wiring of Points)

3, Accesories (Wiring of signals decouplers and other things)

Can all of you please help me with the wiring of a DCC Layout I'm planing to build this year, its not going to be big just 1ft X 8ft.

Pete

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Pay a visit to Allan Gartner's DCC wiring website. It's in the "links" section but I've add it here for your convenience. Apart from 3 way points I think he covers everything you need to know and maybe more.

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
There are no rules.

That said, there are ways of doing thing that help you as you develop your layout.

I Keep wires colour coded to help. Red and black for the DCC BUS. I keep red to the front, black to the back.

Each piece of track and each set of points has it's own feeder that connects to the DCC BUS. Perhaps it's overkill, but I then don't have to rely on fish-plates. I can add feedback later without pulling up the track.

Feed points from the toe-rails. Insulate the two inner rails of the point exit rails.

What else...?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Peter
A 1' x 8' layout is quite small. Is it "N" or "00"?
When chosing your track opt for electrofrog points as these will ensure stall free running.
Do as Doug suggest and fit insultated rail joiners after each points crossing vee (Frog) and wire all track rails to a DCC bus and you'll get trouble free running guaranteed!
Accessory decoders and point decoders simply connect off of the two Bus wires. Their outputs feed signals and points as per normal DC wiring.
My DCC page on my web site may offer some help? My Webpage
Good luck

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The layout is 00 its supprising what you can actualy fit in that space.

Doug

When you say Feed points from the toe-rails. Insulate the two inner rails of the point exit rails.
What do you mean? as I will be using isulfrog points?

Thanks Brian I will be looking at your site.

Pete

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE When you say Feed points from the toe-rails. Insulate the two inner rails of the point exit rails.
What do you mean? as I will be using isulfrog points? The toe rail is the single entry as opposed to the two branch exits.

The two inner rails are just that, where the single rail forks into two you have two rails at either side on the outer edges and two rails in the middle which join together in the centre. It is these two "inner" rail which you need to isolate.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I can reccomend Alan Gartners website as I used as a guide when I started in DCC 15yrs ago.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 25 Feb 2007, 01:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What are the rules for Wiring a DCC layout ?

Can all of you please help me with the wiring of a DCC Layout I'm planing to build this year, its not going to be big just 1ft X 8ft.

Pete

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 25 Feb 2007, 00:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What are the rules for Wiring a DCC layout ?

Pete

Pete,

Have a look at http://mrol.gppsoftware.com/articles.asp where you will find a number of DCC and wiring articles which should help you.

Graham Plowman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts