Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I thought I'd share a few pictures of my latest building for my 4mm scale layout "Ribblehead" to prove that I actually do model occasionally and just don't play around with DCC!

This is the Blacksmiths building which was adjacent to the stables at Craven Lime company at Stainforth, A little North of Settle as it was whilst the Lime company was active in the late 1920's~early 30's. The building contained the smithy, some storage plus some dormitory accommodation for the kiln staff, as it was a 24 hour operation hand firing the Hoffmann Kiln.

Rather than clutter up the page here, the images are in the gallery - the link is: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploa...03_59_29266.jpg

The model is scratchbuilt in DAS modelling clay over a balsa and card former. All interior detail in the ground floor of the accommodation area and the smithy/storage area is modelled.

Floors in the accmmodation area are individual planks and the roof structure is as per prototype with all beams correct, down to the stringers for the tiles...which are individually cut to fit and placed against the stringers correctly.

The only material used other than DAS is thin wood veneer which is used for all roofing tiles, window frames, architraves, doors and interior fittings such as shelves and steps, plus a little brass for guttering and the chimney pots, which are brass with fine tape bands. and...of course, the lighting, which is my own DCCconcepts Prototype white LEDs which have a nice soft light when used with low voltage/high resistance. Still to ve added is the smithys forge fire, which will use a circuit that randomly flashes 8 LEDS that will be potted in epoxy and crushed glass to give a soft but very hot looking twinkle to the fire....

This building is a good example of how cheap modelling can be - total man material cost is about $3 AUD and the tools were a ruler, a razor blade, a scalpel and a few of the emory boards he ladies like to use to tidy up their nails plus a plain old file.

The base of the building is inset on the stand its on into some 4mm rubber sheet - I build all buildings to they sit "into" not "on" the landscape as one thing Ican't stand is to see nice buildings that look like they are not properly set "in" the landscape!

I have two others finished that I'll add to the gallery soon - the Stables, plus Ribblehead station building... You can also see the work so far on the main kiln (its nearly a metre long) in another MRF forum gallery called "richard Johnsons railway".

kind regards

Richard Johnson

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
A wonderful model - really well finished and i like the way you have manged to get the light to be perfect not to bright and not to dim . Love the interior detailing could i see more pictures of it as i have a great interest in buildings!!

Brilliant work -- Nikki

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 30 Apr 2008, 20:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A wonderful model - really well finished and i like the way you have manged to get the light to be perfect not to bright and not to dim . Love the interior detailing could i see more pictures of it as i have a great interest in buildings!!

Brilliant work -- Nikki

**Thanks Nikki - I appreciate the kind comments. I enjoy doing the buildings and actually work on them at the computer desk between emails so they take a wee while...

There are half a dozen images in album the members gallery

I'd love to show you the interior of the dormitory area as in keeping with the era of the model the walls are two tone and have a full picture rail around... and the chairs and couches, which are carved from balsa are covered with "fabric" made from a textured tissue paper so it looks like furniture not painted balsa - plus the "doilies" if thats the right word that used to be placed on the top/arm rests of fabric furniture to stop greasy hair etc staining at head and arm positions...

I'll try to get some more interior shots but might have to get to know my camera a little better to get better interior shots - The problem is if you place doors etc in believably "semi open" positions all the interior detail is almost hidden away from direct camera view.

I'll see if I can borrow a friends camera as he has a fitting with a micro sized lens on a flexible stalk (reminiscent of a medical tool for examining you know where :) ) ... or take some sharper ones with my own camera so I can zoom into the interior a little beter.

Regards

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doop - I just realised I'd made the gallery private - I have now ticked the correct box to make it public - sorry!

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 30 Apr 2008, 13:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just realised I'd made the gallery private

Tsk tsk

How were we going to view your work without access. My cogratulations on an excellent model - seeing that I really could quite easily go right off you!

Regards

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

Now thats a great idea with the crushed glass. That I really want to see! Richard when you say crushed glass what are we talking here 2-3mm pieces ?? How fine. That I think will look great in a firebox! Never even thought of using epoxy as a housing in there.

Thanks

m

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
A fine model with some interesting techniques I might try.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Very nice Richard

QUOTE This building is a good example of how cheap modelling can be - total man material cost is about $3 AUD and the tools were a ruler, a razor blade, a scalpel and a few of the emory boards he ladies like to use to tidy up their nails plus a plain old file.

I've found this with modelling with plaster and plasterboard too. It costs very little and you are left with a unique piece of work.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 30 Apr 2008, 23:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now thats a great idea with the crushed glass. That I really want to see! Richard when you say crushed glass what are we talking here 2-3mm pieces ?? How fine. That I think will look great in a firebox! Never even thought of using epoxy as a housing in there.

***For the Forge fire I'll use glass from powder to say 2mm max - I want a sparkle added to a glow really, not arepresntation of flames so tiny bits will be better. On that basis I'd think you should similar size for a firebox, although I think surrounding the firebox interior with silver foil with very finely chopped red + yellow cellophane would work as well there, as the "direct" view isn't available so a well diffused light is whats needed.

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts