Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the start of my On30 layout. I'm using modular construction on this project. I'll post the position of the
modules in my next posting. I'm very happy with the corner module and the second one is well on the way to completion.

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
Ditto the comments on "neat work" MMaD! What sort of weight are you expecting these things to support? With all those joint stiffeners and screws, it looks like you're going for some real heavy stuff!

David

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dear MMaD,

Just wondering if I should challenge you to a duel, a race if you please, to see who gets their trackwork up and running first ??

See the Parkend string I have started..

Jonathan.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the layout design I promised

Well to answer a few questions:

CeeDee
QUOTE Neat, very neat indeed. Is all that space we can see for your layout or just a convenient place where you can lay the modules temporarily?
Good to see you posting again mate, I've missed your contribution, you surely haven't completed all your cardboard structures ?.

I actually have 27ft x 17ft but I need another work bench and a place to store my Triton Work centre so I'm not going to fill all the space. I actually was going to build two layouts, but I've abandoned that ideal for now and we'll just see how it goes with On30. One of the reason why I went modular is we are quite mobile, and we may not be permanent in the UK. At least this way I can move my layout or parts of it to a new location.
This was also the attraction of going to a larger scale, is it's less stock to move.
There are no modular standards for On30 so you just get on and do your own thing.
Re the other point on holes for wires and things, I'll drill them once I've finished the basic carpentry, I'll just make a simple drilling jig to make everything interchangeable.
The timber is quite light being only 18mm # by nearly 4" the legs are going to be out of light gauge stock using a modified L girder. I have a basic 140 ft of track in the basic layout sketch, but this should be more than enough to stretch the legs of my 0 gauge stock.
For those just starting with Xtrckcad it took me less than 10 minutes to draft out my track plan, it's well worth the effort getting to know this program.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE For those just starting with Xtrckcad it took me less than 10 minutes to draft out my track plan, it's well worth the effort getting to know this program I had a look at this and found it a bit time consuming so I just used an excel spreadsheet instead. If I design another layout I might relook at it.

You have some fairly tight curves there MMaD if I'm reading your track diagram correctly. One seems to a two foot radius and and another two and half. Will this be enough for your locos?

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
>Will this be enough for your locos?
I think MMaD has been hooked by the articulated loco bug. There's no known cure...

David

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about XtrkCad if someone knows ??

When you have designed the final layout, can you print everything 1:1 scale so you have a life size plan..

Also, is there anywayto change the distance between parallel running lines, as they are a little far apart as standard...

thankyou

Regards,

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE You have some fairly tight curves there MMaD if I'm reading your track diagram correctly. One seems to a two foot radius and and another two and half. Will this be enough for your locos? question.gif

Most will On30 loco's will comfortably handle 18" curves, so 26" plus isn't a problem for On30 that the beauty of this gauge you can do a lot more with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
just in case you were wondering, there is a feature to be able to print 1:1 on XtrkCad, but for some reason my copy of the program won't allow it.

I can only think it is because i don't have a Level 1 License to use the software, so can only print onto one A4 sheet of paper...

Anyone know how much this program costs to have a full Licence ? Any cheaper than the Templot program ?

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE Now you mention it I think I've seen some at the shows here. BTY where were you thinking of moving to? Back to SA?

Well give me a a few of those cold grey over cast days and I do wonder about this move. I do like it here in the UK and we have a very nice home, in a semi rual setting. My principle motivation for the move was I wanted to shoot a lot more (my other hobby is clay piegeon shooting) and I certainly have that. I shoot every weekend and unless it's really wet. Unlike south Africa there's no restriction on changing guns once you have a firearms certificate, so I have changed guns quite a bit to find the one thats right for me.
The other activity is we both enjoy going to model shows, lats weekend we went down to West Camel just outside Yeovil there was a small show there. This weekend we have the S&Djr trust show at Edington Village I always go on a Saturday due to my club commitments on a Sunday.
The other option we have for a move is Spain, hence my move into On30 which will operate nicely on a self layout. I would probably move back to SA but my Mrs is currently firmly in favour of staying here.
regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Well give me a a few of those cold grey over cast days and I do wonder about this move. I've got the opposite problem at the moment, forest fires and 40 degrees every day. I'd love some rain and an overcast day right now.

What is the height and thickness of the wood in your modules?

I'm in the process of building a new layout now too. I tend to use wood about the same thickness but about half the height (I think) of yours. I wondered if there was any benefit I am unaware of from having them taller.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts