Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the last of my layouts buildings to be added for a while - I've lots to do to finish the huge Kiln building plus a total of seven half built loco's on the bench (4 Jubilees and 3 4F's) so its going to be a month or two I think.... Unless I add a loco or two.

here's a one image I ( hope)

- the rest are in the gallery at:
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...um&album=59

This building too is using DAS for the stonework, but this time a little more formally carved and well and truly sanded smooth before scribing. The rest of the building is Plasiticard - none of it commercial, all of it cut and textured by hand (I really don't much like the commercial stuff much).

Full interior, and this time there is no correct interior roof timbering but at least it can be reomoved :).

I have a nagging suspicion that some of the window frame area should have been cream but its going to stay crimson lake for now - its a B to paint once, never mind twice. (BTW, the windows are styrene with the fine iron framing made by scribing the clear material and filling with paint)

Its firmly bolted to the wood base for now - when installed, it'll be equally firmly bolted to the station and then thin paving built up around it - I really do hate gaps under buildings!!

Full interior once more, and this time madkitten can be a bit happier - some internal shots... I still have to learn more about the camera, but I'm getting there.

The exterior is a bit too pristine at present - that pepper and salt look will be considerably toned down with some soot and grime very soon now!

Richard

PS: The roof detail is purposely imperfect in places - all that frilly stuff didn't last too long in the Ribblehead climate.....

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I really can't believe this is a model - the windows alone are works of art.

I shall have to start saving the air fare to Australia to see this!

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I was half expecting those figures to get up & walk off.

Just can't think of words that would do justice to the quality Richard - I 'll have to get a hat so that I can take it off !

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE This building too is using DAS for the stonework, but this time a little more formally carved and well and truly sanded smooth before scribing.

So you let the DAS harden before you start scribing?

David

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 2 May 2008, 01:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So you let the DAS harden before you start scribing?

David

***Yes David, always. I scribe when the DAS is dry especially when the subject is more "formally cut" as in the station....usually about 24 hours I sand it, then wait another few hours before scribing. Cut stime edges are actually quite regular so it needs less pressure and less depth than natural stone.

With more natural stonework I use an engraving tool and then brush firmly with a n old toothbrush to soften the edges of the stomework. I may sometimes dampen the surface when doing this - depends on the project finish needed (dampened it ends up with very soft weathered edges)

Richard

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Thanks for the extra information Richard.

There's a stone river bridge I need to build and this looks like one possible way to do it. The one reservation I have is that the stone appears to be "dressed / smooth" and the mortar is flush with the stone work, so perhaps the scribing would end up too deep unless I "back fill" the scribing with a mortar like substance?

David

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 3 May 2008, 01:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the extra information Richard.

There's a stone river bridge I need to build and this looks like one possible way to do it. The one reservation I have is that the stone appears to be "dressed / smooth" and the mortar is flush with the stone work, so perhaps the scribing would end up too deep unless I "back fill" the scribing with a mortar like substance?

David

***If you use a sharp scriber then you can get quite fine lines - however theres an easier way: Save the "sanding dust" when you sand it (its good as a filler and for patching etc - just mis with water).

slightly "over-scribe" the face.

Paint the basic stone colour then mist it with "wet water" - I prefer 25% methylated spirits/alcohol + 75% water. Pat it dry on the stone faces and rub the dry dust into the mortar lines. When its done gently wipe off anything thats not wnted on the stone faces then mist lightly again and leave to dry... very effective as the texture of the stone faces and mortar are realistically different...

You could make a paste to do this too but its messier - and the final textrue is not as good.

Richard

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Thanks for the tips

David

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Outstanding, I had a look at the the real deal today. I would honestly have to say the finest model building I have ever seen! The whole station is truly a work of art.

What the pictures don't show are some of the finest brass loco's you will ever lay your eyes on. All hand built by Richard. Never seen so much detail.

Thaks for sharing it with us.

m

·
Registered
189 Posts
Inspirational stuff. As a model, this is a work of art. I would also love to see the locos.

many thanks for the inspiration.

Basil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 3 May 2008, 21:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How about some pictures of the locomotives please Richard ?

I only have the LMS Royal Scot with any sort of usable photo's right now - I'll put a few up in a new OMWB thread - I may have time for some images of some others next week with luck.

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Richard,

I've drooled at the pics & look forward to seeing some more of the others when you have the time.

Thanks for posting them - it really is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Richard, very nice.

What type of camera do you use for these photos please?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Sol @ 4 May 2008, 06:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard, very nice.

What type of camera do you use for these photos please?

Hi Sol
Cannon PowerShot G5 - nice, but typically with digital cameras as soon as I bought it the next model up which I couldn't quite justify/afford (an SLR type) dropped to the same price - Bugger!

Its a nice camera though - weakest link is my failure to read the manual :)

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Thank you Richard.
It seems like I will be having to purchase a camera soon so I too can post pictures without relying on friends & mates, etc.

RTFM

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 4 May 2008, 05:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It seems like I will be having to purchase a camera soon so I too can post pictures without relying on friends & mates, etc.

I know the feeling.

regards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts