Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post for some pictures taken during the family holiday this year. I managed a quick jaunt in the Swanage Railway (although SWMBO was not amused by her husband getting a footplate trip!). Amazingly our stay coincided with the only decent weather in July - these images have not been enhanced!!

View attachment 645
The 4MT tank at Norden

View attachment 646
The fireman's view

View attachment 647
Crossing with the M7 at Harman's Cross

View attachment 648
The M7 leaves Corfe Castle

View attachment 649
The M7 arrives at Corfe from Swanage

View attachment 650
The classic shot of Corfe station from the castle mount

View attachment 651
The 4MT crosses the gorgeous little viaduct north of the same station - loads of detail here for modellers!

View attachment 652
The first born receives further indoctrination from dad....

I'd rate this line very highly - it is well worth a visit!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 21 Aug 2008, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The 4MT tank at Norden

Love that first shot "The 4MT tank at Norden". A nice study in platform texture & colour, track colour, rail colour, trackside detail, ballast size, ballast changes close to a station where steam loco's run.... plus some gentle weathering of the running number from the coal bunker...

Richard

·
Registered
675 Posts
I love this railway, too. The open top bus ride to Swanage via the chain ferry is magical with those petite rolling hills. Very Southern Railway and green Southern region. Footplate trip sounds magnificent.
mal

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The Swanage Railway is a great day out. Use the park & ride at Norden. Stop off to look around Corfe Castle and take a close look at what I am sure are stone tiled roofs. Then rejoin the train for the rest of the trip to Swanage and have a good walk around the town, sea front and coastal paths.

There was a wool shop on the walk down to the sea front. There's not many of them left these days.....

David

·
Registered
276 Posts
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 21 Aug 2008, 18:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love this railway, too. The open top bus ride to Swanage via the chain ferry is magical with those petite rolling hills. Very Southern Railway and green Southern region. Footplate trip sounds magnificent.
mal

And if you make the return journey to Bomo by the bus to Poole, that goes via Worth Matravers,Kingston ( not my Kingston), and Corfe. You'll see some of the best scenery you're ever likely to see, from the top deck, making the Studland route look mundane.
Paul M.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the line is rightly popular!

The roof material in Corfe is stone, a hard silica laden band of sandstone or limestone that is waterproof.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
My Dad's off to stay with people down there this weekend, lucky old sod (81 and still fighting), he'll have a great time. Hope they've got some decent beer for him down there. He's the one that got me in to all this 56 years ago!!! He even said on the 'phone this week that he was looking forward to seeing the M7 - knowing it would really piss me off! On yer Dad, enjoy it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
QUOTE (6991 @ 22 Aug 2008, 09:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Dad's off to stay with people down there this weekend, lucky old sod (81 and still fighting), he'll have a great time. Hope they've got some decent beer for him down there. He's the one that got me in to all this 56 years ago!!! He even said on the 'phone this week that he was looking forward to seeing the M7 - knowing it would really piss me off! On yer Dad, enjoy it.

Decent beer??, only some of the best known to man, Badger, Ringwood, Isle of Purbeck Ales (IPA), DBC, Piddle, any of those he cant go wrong.
Paul M.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (bike2steam @ 22 Aug 2008, 10:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Decent beer??,, Piddle,

It's a good job I know my independent breweries - if not I'd be very worried about that one!

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I suppose the oily sludge at the platform end is down to the Spamcan's oil leaks.

I don't think they have a Spamcan on the Swanage. It's probably that DMU that does the late evening runs

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 26 Aug 2008, 22:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think they have a Spamcan on the Swanage. It's probably that DMU that does the late evening runs

257 Squadron and Manston are both in the works at Herston - Manston should be out and about later this year.

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Crickey those pictures bring back memories.

It was Summer of 1948, I was 2 and my father had been assigned to decommission WWII submarines at Swanage.

We (Father, Mother + little me) stayed in a small rented cottage in Corfe Castle and, while my Father was working, we used to get the train to go to the beach. I remember that I was still in a push chair, which obviously my mother could not get over the footbridge, so I had to be wheeled over the boarded crossing to get from the end of one platform across to the other.

60 years later I can still remember the sights, sound and smells of that lovely station and those glorious little locos.

This little line has, probably more than anything else, been responsible for my interest in railways.

Excuse me for indulging in a little nostalgia but those pictures just got to me.

Expat.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Re "Spamcans".

:Deep Blush: Sorry about that. I got my Southern locomotive nicknames completely mixed up. I was thinking of the Q1 class which is much more like a can to my eyes.

David

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Expat, lovely memories but in those days there was NO footbridge!
The current one has been newly erected by the Swanage Railway and although it looks like it's been there forever, it is the first one Corfe has ever had.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 27 Aug 2008, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Expat, lovely memories but in those days there was NO footbridge!
The current one has been newly erected by the Swanage Railway and although it looks like it's been there forever, it is the first one Corfe has ever had.

That accounts for why we had to use the track crossing. I couldn't actually remember the footbridge but thought it was just my memory playing tricks.

Expat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts