Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Woodall in another thread said:

But isn't it great being able to walk into a shop like Kramms and there is just so much stuff in there.

The hard decision is not so much on what trains to buy, but all those scenic bits that leap out at you and say "buy me".

How true.

I had the chance to visit a couple of Modelrail stores in Germany. Once you enter inside, instantly your metabolism changes as you throw a glance on to the shelves. Even if you enter prepared that; "you will not buy anything" a state of trans occurs and you have the unavoidable urge to start spending. ( I think I now understand women )

Do you experience this feeling or am I just a case?

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The last time I went into a modelshop in Germany was a couple of years ago in Nurnberg. I set myself a spend limit & guess how much I spent - nothing, there was just too much to chose from so, alas I left empty handed !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Generally, males are not genetically suited to shopping. I have a few 'rules' that work to

a. not spend too much
b. make sure you spend something (and not leave empty handed and heavy hearted - as you always regret not getting the bits

Rule 1 - Never use a credit card (for a)
Rule 2 - Carry the expected amount of cash you expect to spend (with 50 % more in the side pocket or in the shoe)
Rule 3 - Have a shopping list of sorts (i.e do I want track or do I want a loco or carriages or...or....)
Rule 4 - Go alone

Some sort of focus is necessary as otherwise we get shopping paralysis (and buy nothing) or shopping hysteria (we get into hock)

Rule 5 is to completely ignore rules 1 to 4 when you see that item (or items) that you have to have and then rule 6 kicks in

Rule 6. Take the credit card out of you shoe and become a wild shopping maniac

Of course we could have a rule 7

Rule 7 Don't go shopping and drop hints to your loved ones

See we are unsuited to the task

On with the playing

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I find that not having the ability to run AC 3 rail cuts the choice somewhat in continental model shops

Apart from that I think I'm the same as Brian. If I haven't got a "wish list" in my head and I walk into an Aladdin's cave, my brain goes into overload and shuts down. That locks down my wallet and I leave with nothing....

Actually if I had no limit, I think I would probably own one or two Fulgurex Swiss steamers by now. They are truly gorgeous models but at many hundreds of pounds, just too rich for my blood.

David

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
( I think I now understand women )

Baykal
[/quote]

Your a brave man claiming you understand women, I mean whats with shoes?

I will just stick to my own little world and answer all questions with "yes dear" except "does my bum look big in this?"
and hide in the railway room

Brian

·
Registered
122 Posts
A guy I know well, sells Secondhand model railway items and as cheap as he can, but many a person goes in an expects him to practically Give them away. One example was a Boxed Hornby 'Flying Scotsman' in perfect running order, not a scratch on it and at just £25.00.. The customer said: £20?" The shop Guy replied: "£25 is the asking price. If I let you have it for £20, then I am losing out and I'm not in this business to lose money, sorry." The customer then claimed he can get a brand new one for £35. and the shop guy immediately challenged him to prove it. The customer just walked out. I was there, so I know this is genuine.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 12 Jun 2008, 18:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>( I think I now understand women )

Baykal

Your a brave man claiming you understand women, I mean whats with shoes?

Brian
I once said to Maggie "I'll never really understand ladies" & she replied "you're not supposed to, & anyway, if males started to show that they did we would all change" - there is no way to argue any further !

As for shoes, some ladies don't bother - it's handbags, although Maggie goes for both, oh - must not forget belts, or nail varnish in every possible colour and................

(TIC - no offence to any of the ladies here.)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 12 Jun 2008, 18:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The last time I went into a modelshop in Germany was a couple of years ago in Nurnberg. I set myself a spend limit & guess how much I spent - nothing, there was just too much to chose from so, alas I left empty handed !

Was that the one where you walked out of the wrong door and left me standing in the snow? (I had forgotten that incident)

QUOTE (SRman @ 13 Jun 2008, 08:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The unbearable lightness of spending is rapidly followed by the unbearable lightness of wallet.

Closely followed by the nasty letter from the bank/credit card company.

I have to say I tend to work on the "do I actually need it" principle, it doesn't always work but generally speaking tends to reduce unneccessary spending.

Regards

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have a plan........A simple plan.........A plan that can't possibly fail.......take the other half........No time to look or she moans....Perfect....Except she has the knack of saying "well if you want it you should get it...." just when you least expect it, and before you know it....ka-ching!..........Then you get home set it all up, test it all works and go back down stairs, just to get "I can't believe you left me alone all day!"............Empty wallet and in the doghouse.............

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think its about having a plan and knowing what you want.

When I first went to Germany in 1997 I went into every model shop I passed and bought something, but over a period of 1 week only bought 2 locomotives! But I did buy wagons and scenic stuff. Most of the scenic stuff I have used. It is one thing to look at the catelogues and see stuff, but to walk into a shop, see a kit that you have been thinking about and then seeing some detailing parts that will enhance it, it just to big a temptaion to me.

I walked into a shop and they had a limited edition two wagon set with a truck. They had the same set with out the truck that was about EUR10 cheaper. I really need the truck! It fit my era, it was something I didn't know about, it was not to expensive, I had room in my suitcase, Kate liked it (this is very very important and cannot be underestimated).

John

Hates shopping!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ah wimin

Love to love them

Don't try to understand shoe or handbag shopping

Defy logic

and

some of them like trains.

'Man to thine own self be true and thus it follows as night follws day, thou shalt find true happiness'

and the trainset bits

and a lighter wallet

but

hopefully a smile

·
Trainee pensioner
212 Posts
I get the spending bug on internet sites like Hattons and Rails. I just want a couple of coaches/wagons/points and before I know it, I have a massive shopping cart, and they've somehow prised far too much money out of my pocket

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Petal @ 17 Jun 2008, 10:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I get the spending bug on internet sites like Hattons and Rails. I just want a couple of coaches/wagons/points and before I know it, I have a massive shopping cart, and they've somehow prised far too much money out of my pocket

They must make credit cards out of some sort of heat resistant plastic - the way some people use them they must get red hot !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts