Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you expect a railway buff not to know everything about the GWR, his speciality subject?

Actually he got two questions wrong, but only just and I think he was a little stressed.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I always remember, can never forget, a railway buff should have won it all in 1975(?) - but the show gave a wrong question to an answer... The contestant was answering stuff on the British Railways between 1950 and 1960 or some such, and he was creaming it - then he was asked a question about an experimental loco, running trials on the Southern Region between late 50's early 60's. He was confused, it couldn't have been 'Leader', I knew that too, he took about 20 secs to pass through confusion, then they said the answer was 'Leader'!!! he lost by one or two points. I was gobsmacked they could get it so wrong - but it was before the days of everyone complaining and they all thought, 'railway nerd' forget it. I never forget the look on the guy's face - it's etched in my brain.

But if you know the way they record quiz shows these days, there is no recourse for a challenge at all. The whole series is normally canned in a week or so. Then dribbled out over many weeks. The price of studio time is high, and they do it all in one slab - if there's 9 episodes - they were recorded on 9 consecutive days, and the finalists would come back for the tenth. Then the show is out of studio, and something else comes in.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Winning Mastermind doesn't appear to have done Chris Hughes any harm.

Regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
[I take some pleasure when the question setters get the answer wrong and are corrected by the contestant.
I saw one question in 'Millionaire' The contestant was asked to say which of the four choices, all Greek letters, was a geographical feature. Beta, Epsilon , Mesa and Delta. He answered Delta and was right but Mesa is a flat topped stack like those in Monument Valley. It would have been good to see him say 'Mesa' and the subsequent fuss after being knocked out of the show ! I think a good railway historian could easily trip up a question setter because he has a much greater knowledge of the minutia of his subject.
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I can always remember Chris Hughes' "Heavy Freight Mob" sweatshirt - he did very well and didn't appear "nerdy" at all!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 16 Sep 2008, 11:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can always remember Chris Hughes' "Heavy Freight Mob" sweatshirt

Thank you - I knew he wore a railway related sweat shirt, I just couldn't remember what it was. (incidentally he is now a regular on eggheads)

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts