Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to design (let alone build) a cliff railway - something like:

Southend Cliff Lift - Built 1912, 4ft 6ins gauge with 1ft 9ins gauge counterbalance track under, 130ft track length, 57ft rise.

One in Ketchikan, Alaska. I saw it, but didn't use it and know nothing about it.

Bergen Floibanen, Norway - Built 1918, metre gauge, 844 metres track length, 302 metres rise.

Might well go for the British style of either two parallel tracks or single track with counterbalance track below (as per Southend) or single track with counterbalance in vertical shaft as per Margate:

This one was unusual in being side-mounted, it was 5ft gauge, 69 feet track length, 50 feet rise and operated from 1913 to 1972 - the trackbed and shaft are still there with some of the winding gear.

I am rapidly losing interest in 'My Physiotherapy Project' (Any buyers?), it seems to have served its purpose.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have got some footage of the Margate Lido Cliff Lift in operation on the new Online Video DVD No. ON130 'Cliff Lifts of Great Britain' - there is also a companion DVD 'Piers and Pier Railways' which is currently only available through the National Piers Society and not yet publicly released.

Folkestone & District MRC have an 'O' Gauge model of the original Leas Lift as it was when opened in 1884, and I understand that someone built a larger scale version using water for his university thesis - OK, no power supply need at exhibitions, but must've been messy as hell to operate!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the ideas! Saw a reproduction of a modelling article dating from 1940-41 in the book 'Cliffhangers' on how to build your own cliff railway entirely out of wood (including wheels and rails!) and operate the single car buy just adding or subtracting a coin to/from the vertical counterbalance.

I wouldn't reproduce a model like-for-like from the article, but would certainly consider it using modern materials. At least no motor, no controller, no power supply needed!

I would prefer to model a British line and my nearest for prototype research is Southend and a 520mm (20.42 inches) length of bridge channel (as produced by Atlas) would be the idea base!

The Brawa set is overpriced (typical of Brawa) and someone has one on eBay (PayPal only) bidding at around £20 - speaks volumes for its quality!!!

Langley Models kit retails at £115! I would lose less money being mugged! For I could do my Southend or Margate lift for a quarter of the price!!!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Decisions Decisions Decisions!!!

It will be a while before I get round to it, (must get a job first, or its more contract work!) and both Southend and Margate have their own appeal so, some more pics to entertain you with:

Southend's upper station following refurbishment in 2006 with the car just in view - and the line is still not working!!!!

General view looking up the line with the 4ft 6in gauge running line and the 1ft 9in gauge counterbalance track under it. The central beam (not a rail) provides a surface for the emergency brakes to grip on to. Sorry about the tilt - the camera was arms length away from me whilst I was leaning over the fence!

The remains of Margate's lift as it is now.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just bought the Brawa funicular set in HO for £50 from Fleabay. It is really an impluse purchase but I could either run it as supplied - It is the Forest Cemetery Funicular in Stuttgart or see what potential it has for conversion/adaptation to a British style funicular.

This will take some time!!!

Just been asked to complete 'My Physiotherapy Project' and write an article about it!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
The Brawa Funicular set arrived today and despite it being in new condition, I can see why she sold it!!!

It is certainly no toy and as for the baseboard it needs - OUCH!!!!!

Definately a back burner project!!! On the other hand, Margate is a lot easier scenically - just one great big brick retaining wall to start with!!!!

I think I'll stick with Walmington Pier Tramway - it's what I'm noted for.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I went to Lugano as part of a school holiday in 1966 and I don't even remember a funicular there, even though we travelled by train from Venice!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Visited Legoland, Windsor yesterday. Unfortunately their resident funicular railway the 'Hill Railway' was out of service with the track receiving a lot of attention from a pest (not children) control contractor.

This was originally part of the Windsor Safari Park and the 3-car trains were the 'Central Africa Tram Co' from opening in 1990 until closure of the safari park in 1992, reopening in 1996 as part of Legoland Windsor and now a 3ft 6in gauge interlaced track with mid loop running approx 1000 feet at 1 in 10 average gradient. Sorry no pics taken, weather was foul yesterday!!!!

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.