Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 8 Jul 2008, 10:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm trying to design (let alone build) a cliff railway - something like:

This one was unusual in being side-mounted, it was 5ft gauge, 69 feet track length, 50 feet rise and operated from 1913 to 1972 - the trackbed and shaft are still there with some of the winding gear.

This is only about 150 yards from my front door! Thanks for posting the pic Dave - I've not seen this one before.

Also I have to admit I don't remember it working as late as '72.

My vote is for Margate.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well last night I took a short stroll down to the seafront to have a look at the remains of the Margate example, if you don't build it Dave I might have a go!

Looking at the slope the original, much rotted, timber baulks are still present, as are the dog spikes for holding the rails down.

The stumps of the railings at the bottom can still be seen as can part of the machine house at the top. Nowadays the brick arches have been bricked up and the chalk has receeded from around the concrete supports.

That having been said there is still plenty of data to assist in construction of a model.

If you decide on Margate let me or Brian (or both) know and I feel sure we could get some photos and measurements for you.

Regards

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.