Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now young modellers in the UK are very lucky as they have a choice of two fictional themes with which to start their lifetime interest in railway modelling and these are Thomas the Tank Engine and Harry Potter Hogwarts Express.

And of course Triang had a lot of success with "Battlespace" in the 1960's and won back the youngsters then who had become enchanted at that time by the brand new Scalextric that was the 1960's equivalent of the Playstation from a model railway point of view.

So what do manufacturers offer in other parts of the world to entice the youngsters into railway modelling?

Is there a Davy Crockett or Ned Kelly special?

Or an Asterix or Tin Tin train set for the French?

What examples can our merry band of international Model Rail Forum members come up with?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thomas's appeal is very international. In the USA, Bachmann have a Thomas and Friends range (the UK DCC fitted Stuart and Greg are Thomas and Percy without faces), and in Japan Tomix do an N gauge Thomas range. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas etc were all available in other European countries.

I want an Ivor the Engine set myself...

Rich

·
Registered
521 Posts
Tomy actually do what looks to be around HO/OO sized models of Thomas and friends in UK, too. Unsurprisingly, I didn't actually take the time to check the scale exactly! They aren't powered but I think are pushed along very simple trackwork. Simple models, made of plastic, an alternative to similar wooden toys.

Odd company Tomy - they make a lot of very simple kiddies' toys but they also make some very high quality model trains in N gauge and a smaller range in HO too, but both of these are marketed under the subsidiary company name of Tomix.

A Large Tomix Selection
No Thomas the tank engine or anything like it in that range.
Also note the VERY reasonable prices for such high quality products.

I found the Tomix N Scale Thomas series, as mentioned earlier by Captain Grumps, in
Newhall Station, USA
Although, strangely, Thomas himself isn't actually listed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts