Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the local hobby shop today, and I noticed some Thomas the Tank Engine wagons. Even though they're clearly marketed for kids, several of the wagons (in particular the small 4 wheel tank wagons, 5 planks, and 20 ton brake van) looked like they were reasonably detailed. Unfortunately, I couldn't take them out of the plastic wraps to check them... but as I said, they didn't look too bad. Bear in mind, I'm not talking abut the whole Thomas range here... but just a few of the wagons that look like they are from Bachmanns regular range, but repackaged for the Thomas line.

Anyone know anything about these wagons? Are my eyes deceiving me into thinking that they are semi-OK for my 00 layout?

-MAS

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Except for the smiley faces...

My kids sometimes put Thomas wagons on the layout and I have to shunt them around to make way for the evening express. They are fun to play with, but not quite as finely detailed as other standard Hornby models. The ones we have are a few years old, the newer ones may be better.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
It's not just the rolling stock, some of the Hornby Thomas buildings can look very respectable with a repaint and detailing.

Regards

John

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
and 'Toby' is a cheap way of getting that J94 chassis?..[for the likes of some diesel kits I've seen?]

I think the Thomas wagons are originally older Hornby-type wagons.....certainly the larger 'Thomas' locos like 'Henry' and 'Edward' are really older hornby models......

The range of Thomas coaches (for Henry or Gordon)....I have also seen in GWR colours......although, as per the videos, they have spoked wheels, which are easily replaced.

Old Slow Coach seems to be the old-style shorterGW clerestory coach..

The layout I'm building with my young son has some tight curves..or rather, corners....certainly down to 1st radius, but in flex....plus, the platforms are a tad short.
being an older-type modeller, I recall the advantages of having the old style shorter coaches...especially if strapped for space....less overhang, less cut-in on the insides, etc.

I have looked in vain for a modern equivalent....ending up with Thomas coaches which seem quite at home!

With a re-paint, re-wheel, and perhaps an interior or six....and they are quite presentable....especialy if one is leaning towards perserved railways as a role model?

I believe they are also cheaper than the grown-up versions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.