Model Railway Forum banner
381 - 391 of 391 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Hi

Finally got to the point where I could start pouring some water, it starts cloudy and dries clear. Of course there is a small leak at the back despite my best efforts. Not too much of a spill and I had taken the precaution of covering everything underneath with a plastic sheet.

Generally I am happy with the results so far. The new rock face looks ok to me with some subtle colour changes. A little repair the the fencing where my elbow caught it, then I will attempt to fix the leak and pour a second time. I am experimenting with the water for the waterfalls, having watched a few utube video's.

Back in the shed this morning as 40mph winds forcast, so the perfect excuse to stay inside.

Derek

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
That's all blending in very neatly. The broken fence looks good too, why not have a visible temporary repair, or even a couple of field hands about to start dealing with it properly if you want some human activity interest?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Will have to look out for a Mk1 Land Rover to park by the fence.

Off to Devon for a weeks golf ball hunting. I have added more water to the stream, with a bit of luck it will not have all leaked away on my return.

Derek

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Hi

All the water has now set and I have started blending in the grass and vegetation. I still have to add a little bit more of the water effects, to try and get more of a feeling for movement.

Time for a quick vacuum of the loose material and then I think a short running session, before returning to add trees and bushes. There is now space for a short row of cottages on the right hand side where the church used to be. I will have to hunt around for a suitable prototype.

All for now.

Derek

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Mini Malham... brings back memories of cold, snow, sleet, freezing nights on an RAF survival course round there and Pen-y-Ghent...
Walked the Pennine Way with a party of my then 17 year old friends, and the scenery is indeed bob on for much of the middle section. Perhaps you were one of the trainees among the several Army and RAF groups we encountered... (Not a few conversations with NCO's heartily recommending to us service in HM armed forces.)

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Hi

I'm afraid I may have spoilt the fell of the area for you now I have added some trees...

I don't plan to add anything else to this area, except a couple of houses at the back right hand corner.

It's not been going so well. The plasticard is very brittle and not at all easy to cut. I have had it for a couple of years.

I will see how it goes before deciding if it is good enough.

Derek

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Your valley looks like a good place for a scenic walk.

I think the success of your houses will depend on how well the windows go in.

David

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
I have finished the houses, being at the back just about got away with them.

The obvious error, some how missed the fact there are no chimneys. I did not notice this until I had wired in the lights and fixed everything in place..

I have now moved on to fitting working lamps onto about a dozen engines that do not have them.

Before

After

This is something in the past I would have got someone else to do for me. But once I had done one it seemed simpler to do it myself. Having opened up a few engines for maintenance I have found a mess of wiring and lots of sticky tape, so I set about tidying them up with shorter wires and heatshrink. In the future I will fit my own sound and lights with a speaker of my choice, it's not so difficult with just about every engine now having some sort of provision for sound.

I am looking forward to the imminent arrival of Clan Stewart, I have had one on preorder for some time as I missed out on them last time around.

Derek

Attachments

381 - 391 of 391 Posts