Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting close to starting work on the scenic section of my loft layout (it's only taken about 5 years to get this far!). I am very keen to use SMP track for the main running lines, but don't have the time to make, or the cash to have SMP points made. I had assumed my compromise was going to have to be Peco 75 pointwork, but have recently seen adverts for the Tillig Elite system. Does anyone have any experience of this? Obviously smooth running for Hornby/Bachmann stock is a major priority, but longevity of point action, type of motor to use, looks and compatability with SMP track are all factors. As always would welcome any views from the collective experience and knowledge of this fraternity!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Tillig Elite (Code 83) is a great track system.

I was looking at it closely in Germany and I'm keen to get some to play with - especially as I'm also looking for some HOe track to integrate with my HO/OO track. Tillig has track pieces that allow HO and HOe to mix and cross over each other.

Tillig Code 83

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have used a combination of my own built Copperclad points with SMP track and the results can be seen below. It is certainly better than mixing SMP track with HO points.

If you want more information about suppliers and track plans, I shall be pleased to help you.

Trackwork

Colombo

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Cool pictures,
I've still got a British, Prussian, & French Heroic's & Ross Armys somewhere, left over from my days of figure wargamming. I think painting them hastened the need for reading glasses. To many arguments, and moral tests for me, depending on who's rules you were using. I much prefer model railways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your comments and info to date. The photo of your trackwork Colombo is impressive, but I simply don't have the expertise or time to go this route. I realise this means compromising, but from Doug's comments and photo, I get the impression Tillig could be one of the least-bad options! I may order some samples. Many thanks.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Some info on Tillig track in the previous thread "Peco code 100 & finescale 75".

Question: Off topic slightly, but has anyone experience of using Tillig track (Code 80?)?

In the current BRM there is an advertisement which quotes Tillig point kits at £7.60, which compares well to Hattons PECO points at £7-£9.

In the photo the Tillig point looks better than the PECO.

Regards

Answers: I have tried the TILLIG Elite track as a trial for a large layout.
It's code 83, which is very close in scale to modern UK mainline rails.

In my opinion PECO is poor by comparison !!!!!

TILLIG track comes pre-weathered, and looks much finer than PECO code 75.
The real difference is the points, which have proper swinging switch blades rather than the toy-like hinges on PECO points. However, there is no over centre spring so latching point motors or Tortoise type motors are needed.

The range of points is better too.

Ok, it's still HO track, but so is PECO.

Q: I read on another forum that the turnouts are quite flimsy. Do they produce flexi track ?
Because the turnout are not self latching you either have to use Seep or tortoise turnout motors ?.
Any comments on that .

The turnouts are finer, and the tiebar in particular is quite delicate/flimsy. As the whole thing is more delicate and flexible than, say, a PECO code 75 turnout, it seems more care is required in handling. However, once laid, it is sturdy enough.

The larger radius points have an element of flex in them, making fine adjustment possible.
There are:-
3 straight points (available in both Left & Right),
4 curved points (L & R),
2 "Y"s,
2 crossing,
4 slips,
and a kit/components, to make your own custom turnout.

Flexitrack is:-
wooden sleeper 890mm
concrete sleeper 470mm
steel sleeper 470mm

Set-track available in 6 straight lengths + 4 different radii curves.
Plus a module linking track piece with sliding rails to join 2 modules/baseboards.

All in the same code 83.

n.b. the rail width is thinner than PECO code 75, and although the height is slightly more, it's not noticable. Overall effect is of a finer rail.
For example, I have here in front of me 3 pieces of flexitrack, PECO code 100 and 75 and TILLIG code 83. The code 75 looks closer to the code 100 than the code 83 !!

Negatives ? The flexi is a bit too bendy, and wobbles around like a whip, and the sleepers are very fiddly to adjust straight.

Yes, you need seep or stall motor drives (Tortoise etc.). I haven't sorted this out yet, but plan to use Tortoise motors throughout on the scenic side.
I understand there may be a bit of fiddling to do in the set-up, but don't you always??

Overall impression.....much nicer looking, especially the turnouts (points).

Etc Etc Etc

Hope this is helpful ?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I'll try to get to an exibition where international models have a stand, there's nothing like seeing the real thing. Certainly the track is visually pleasing. I'm about six weeks away from even thinking about track, but at least my builders made a start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the additional info and comments. I shall visit their stand at Alexandra Palace on 1st April - I need to see the product in the flesh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts