Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
This is just to show the differences between a Tillig large radius point (85351) and a Peco large radius point (SL88).

Tillig on the left and Peco on the right:

Profile of the track. Tillig is code 83 and Peco is code 100. Tillig on the left and Peco on the right:

Blade system. The Tillig has continuous blades that bend. The natural spring in the blades brings them to the center when not held. Peco has split hinged blades and their sprung clip that keeps the blades set to one side or the other. Tillig on the left and Peco on the right:

A side-view of the mechanisms. Tillig on the left and Peco on the right:

This is one of the reasons that I'm interested in Tillig - their HOe/009 track and points:

·
Registered
521 Posts
What a nice set of pics!
The Tillig rail is an interesting colour - looks good, VERY good

Historically, I've always admired Peco and I still do, but the pics tell their own story so very well.

Code 100 is obviously sturdier but . . . nothing more needs to be said on looking at those photos.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like Peco. It does the job and their Electro-frog points are great, but these others... do seem a little better.

The Tillig tracks are burnished brown, not shinny silver like the Peco.

The Tillig sleepers are smaller and give the impression of being less 'plastic'.

The whole point is slightly flexible so you could slightly alter it's shape in a particular situation. I tried bending it to a curve - which it did - and the blade mechanism still worked fine. The wheel guides are also fitted separately and can be adjusted or changed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The check rails are slideable? More and more impressed!
Even without an operational HO layout, the Tillig units are attracting me almost enough to buy some, just to check it out personally - there's nothing quite like hands-on for ultimate satisfaction.

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (Rail-Rider @ 6 Jun 2006, 15:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The check rails are slideable? More and more impressed!
Even without an operational HO layout, the Tillig units are attracting me almost enough to buy some, just to check it out personally - there's nothing quite like hands-on for ultimate satisfaction.

I did just that and purchased a selection of points and track to try it out. Well my mind is definately made up in favour of Tillig. My big project will require quite a lot.

Shame you didn't show a close up of the Peco hinges on the switch blades (YUK!) compared to the continuous Tillig rail.

A comparison with Peco Code 75 would have been useful. It's closer in rail profile, but suffers all the other negatives of the Code 100.

Tillig also offer a larger range of pointwork and crossings.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The Tillig appears to be wider. Do you end up with a wider "6 foot" around crossings? One of my beefs with Peco code 75 Electrofrogs is that when you use insulated joiners, it is impossible for the "6 foot" to match the little red Peco gauge.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
You may be surprised to hear that the Peco website has recently undergone an extensive overhaul and now contains a lot more content than before. I agree that there have been few new OO products from them in the last couple of decades. The new stuff seems to be in N gauge, oh and their new GWR Collett 2251 locomotive ships DCC equipped, not just "DCC Ready". Yes it's a great pity that their OO track has HO scale sleepers but then the gauge is too narrow in any case, /but/ I do not agree that Peco are anti DCC.

Why not visit the updated Peco site here and having read it, see if your argument that Peco is anti DCC still holds up.

David

PS. On the subject of "unaltered long running product ranges" maybe we could have a separate thread? My nomination would be SuperQuick!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definitely swayed now to go down the Tillig route, received some samples this morning and I'm hugely impressed with the quality product, but then again it's German need we say anymore
, I put it up against my Peco 75 and they are worlds apart in terms of looks and quality, quite frankly the Peco now looks naff

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (37197 @ 29 Jun 2006, 16:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Definitely swayed now to go down the Tillig route, received some samples this morning and I'm hugely impressed with the quality product, but then again it's German need we say anymore
, I put it up against my Peco 75 and they are worlds apart in terms of looks and quality, quite frankly the Peco now looks naff

NOW looks naff! Its always looked naff!

My club has decided to move completely over to Tillig and all for the cost of 1 length of track.

Alistair

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (alibuchan @ 29 Jun 2006, 17:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>NOW looks naff! Its always looked naff!

My club has decided to move completely over to Tillig and all for the cost of 1 length of track.

Alistair

Fair comment

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am just in the track planning stage, and have been using the Peco '00' turnout templates for 1:1 planning. In terms of turnout variety and angles, how does Tillig compare with Peco Code 100 and 75? I was intending to use Peco Code 75 but, if the track geometry is similar, I may go the Tillig route from scratch, rather than go Peco. I am working in a small 7'6" box room, so by definition I need track geometry that allows for tighter configurations; I have been planning my layout mostly using Peco Code 75 Small turnouts, with a handful of mediums...could I achieve the same with Tillig? Also, the rail height is quite low; has anyone any experience of operating older Mainline/Hornby/Lima locos over Tillig turnouts?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
A 7' 6" square area probably means you are going to have quite sharp curves if you want any straight bits at all. My experience is that Peco code 75 suffers a lot less from the "kink factor" at joins on curves than code 100. See Thunder's recent experience in his Steam in the Garden topic. If I was you, I think I would seriously consider doing the whole thing with set track. I see Doug has just posted a link to Tillig from the links page.

I am certainly considering using set track for some hard to access return loop extensions / storage areas I am thinking of for my loft layout.

Of course you could decide to have a completely circular layout with no straights on the main line at all. You might even find that there are some ready made curved points that will do just the job. Check out the selection available from Roco - their set track curves go well beyond 2 feet.

David

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Aug 2006, 18:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You might even find that there are some ready made curved points that will do just the job. Check out the selection available from Roco - their set track curves go well beyond 2 feet.

David

Thanks David, I might just do that. Modern houses are a pain for space, but at least the box room is mine (and I have carpet and heating too
). I had considered 'N' gauge, but I have always preferred '00'. I am sure I can squeeze something reasonable into the space we have. I like the idea you have about curved points; I have no experience of Roco, but they sound promising...I'll look them up, cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks to Richard at International Models for the Tillig HO Elite Catalogue...what a fantastic selection they have!!

I am considering using them instead of Peco, but since they are 1:87 H0 and not '00', is there any issues about running Hornby, Bachmann, Mainline and Airfix locos and stock over Tillig trackwork?

I am particularly impressed with the trackwork they offer around mixed gauges...ie. turnouts that allow both standard gauge and narrow gauge traffic!
I am now considering converting a small section of my plans to include a narrow gauge; perhaps a small quarry section, or wharf side track; might look good, although no idea how practical it is to run narrow gauge DCC.

Has anyone any idea if you can mix the Tillig HO Elite trackwork with other makes (e.g. Peco)? Tillig operate as Code 83, whereas Hornby is Code 100, and Peco in Code 75, 83 and 100. Should I assume only Peco Code 83 is compatible with Tillig??

1 - 20 of 59 Posts