Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
A switch mode power supply from somewhere like Rapid Electronics will be cheaper than any manufacturers branded "transformer" and will work just as well.

A laptop charger is also ideal, but the voltages can be a bit higher than you really need/want.

If, by points, you mean solenoid point motors, I would use a seperate power supply. they take a hefty current surge when they switch. Also depends on the size of the layout and whether you switch more than one point at a time, e.g. with a diode matrix for route setting.

Andrew

·
Registered
828 Posts
QUOTE (York Puffer @ 21 Jan 2009, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, safe electrics only guys, precisely what would a "hefty current surge" be for point solenoids.

Would 18v dc, 3.6amp do the trick, £13.50 for the points.
Maybe, but I would go a bit higher in voltage. Actually, I would use a CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) as well [1]. Then you can get away with a lower current for recharging, but I would still keep it seperate from the DCC supply. The energy stored in a CDU varies with the square of the voltage, so a modest increase in voltage gives a much bigger bang, so to speak.

Andrew

[1] Actually I would use some form of slow motion point motor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts