Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just wondering why the time clock on this site is an hour ahead of current UK time?

As the sites a UK operated one shouldn't the time be shown as true UK time??

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Daylight Saving Time option needs to be manually selected when BST is operational and manually DEselected when UK reverts to GMT for the winter. Not remembering to MANUALLY select the correct setting is the usual reason for being an hour out. So, currently DST should be DEselected or times will be shown an hour ahead.
QUOTE (If you have selected the correct time zone and the clock appears an hour out, check or uncheck box to suit)

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Eh?

I have GMT selected and also daylight saving ticked and its the correct time.

Is this right or wrong?

Surely if I leave it as it is then time will be automatically adjusted when we go to BST and I won't have to do anything.

Or am I now getting confused?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
It IS a bit confusing!
You appear to be right, Gary, but you shouldn't be!

The manual selector for Daylight Saving is provided because the function isn't switched automatically.
Daylight Savings Time is NOT in effect in UK, therefore the DST selector SHOULD be DEselected to match that situation. ie DST not inoperation.
However, if you do this, then the times are an hour behind!
Which makes Gary right!
But he still shouldn't be!

Gary's settings work for Gary and they also work correctly for me.
But, in theory they are wrong.

I can only think that either the board's clock is an hour out or the software now does make the Daylight Savings Time adjustment automatically, but the manual selector is still there, permitting us to screw it up anyway!

Confused?

DEFINITELY!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I am totally in favour of sticking with Summer Time throughout the whole year and always have been. When they did an experiment in the 1970's the lighter evenings in Winter were bliss.

It sounds as if the only reason for keeping this 1 hour move thing is to keep a whole army of IT people in a job! And this group seem to suceed in doing what IT people are very successful at!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree with that too.
Preferably BST all year round.
If not, then GMT all year round.
But then you have the rest of Europe to try to work with as well - least said about that the better, I guess!

·
Registered
763 Posts
The damn time issue has cropped up again. The clocks have gone forward an hour in the UK so i've had to switch to GMT+1 hour. The daylight saving thing is set the wrong way round it seems so if I uncheck the box it goes back a further hour. Not really an issue but one of those irritating little things.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Back to normal now. As i say more a nuisance than a problem. Thanks for fixing it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts