Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my first layout I'm going to keep it small, 6' x 1', but hopefully interesting by making a timesaver layout. The era will be the 80's or 90's in the south east, and as there's going to be lots of shunting involved I'd like to know what singnalling I should be using and how it's used. Any advice or web links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'm intrigued by the term 'Timesaver' - could you clarify this, please? It's not a term I've noticed in the railway modelling world before!

If you want to have prototypical signalling, have a look at Bob Essery's book 'Railway Signalling and Track Plans' published by Ian Allan last year. But on a small layout you are unlikely to need many signals.

We do have a sub-forum on signalling topics in this 'Tracks, layouts and scenery' forum - you may find some useful tips there.

Best wishes for your construction.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 8 Mar 2008, 12:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm intrigued by the term 'Timesaver' - could you clarify this, please? It's not a term I've noticed in the railway modelling world before!

John Webb

Hi John,

Basically the "timesaver" term and shunting was an invention of an American modelrailroader John Allen.

Check for further details:

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/

...and if you regard yourself as a shunter try solving these out:

http://www.precisionlabels.com/shunt/jpage320.html

Baykal

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (Beakster @ 8 Mar 2008, 11:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HERE is the link to a website I've been looking at. I'm basing my layout on the plan towards the bottom of the page
If it's a yard then chances are there won't be any signalling as all moves are under the control of the shunter. Signals control the entry and exit into yards only. If you chose one of the plans involving a staion as well then you will need some.

Which plan are you refering to? describe it by the name next to it or is it the one in blue and yellow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the last plan on the page, above the text: "In this example, still based on the "Timesaver" layout"

P.S Thanks John, I hadn't noticed the signalling section, I'll take a look.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Right, thanks for that. If you have a link to an off-scene traverser or fiddle yard then you might have a ground signal controlling the exit from the scenic part. If you have purely the layout as illustrated then you don't need any signals - all the shunting in such a location would have been done by the shunter giving hand signals to the driver. Makes life easier that way!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The whole basis of the timesaver idea surrounded track lengths, linked to stocklengths.

Many moons ago, Model RAilroader ran an article on Timesaver developement, incorporating the timesaver plan into an oval.....[I think, the idea was to combine it into a trainset??]

various plans were drawn, using the various siding/loop options to get a ''through track''...

you could try this?

rather than having a timesaver plan as an ''add-on'' to an oval?

the 'loop' need not form the entire 'main line'...and the plan may need to be flexed somewhat.....especially if a platform is to be incorporated?

for the UK, a shunt signal may well control the entry/exit form the yard itself, to the main.

if angliscising the whole shebang, don't forget the catch points to protect the 'main line'????

For a really simple, and useful [as in, potentially developed] shuntng trackplan, ithe ''Inglenook sidings''idea is ideal.

simple and plain, it can be developed, either as perhaps, one half of a marshalling yard [say, the 'up' or 'down' side?]...or, even as an interchange yard between two companies,or a branch and mainline...or colliery and main....or whatever??

the 'shunting' can be as complicated or simple as one pleases....even run to a timetable [regarding arrivals and departures]....and the 'developement' can surround the actual 'link' to the main line...at a later date? This would involve the creation of headshunt, arrival and /or departure roads....and a portion of theactual mainline...which COULD form a non-hidden fiddle yard????

for the interchange idea..the development could be, part of the actual junction?

the appeal of such ideas is, unlike a switching puzzle, which essentially has the industries to 'set the scene'..........scenery can be really as simple as one's skills permit??

some ground work, the odd hut or shed......maybe a back road for brake vans at a later date....or if steam shunted, then simple servicing facilities....and later, most important...THE SIGNALBOX?

with the link to the main line being properly signalled??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts