Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Received my lot of 50 0603 Red SMDs to practice soldering on
using a spot of blue tack to hold the SMD managed to wire it up successfully (when I got the soldering iron close enough

I used the magnifying glass on the helping hands and only one eye , once soldered added a drop of superglue (cyanoacrylate)

I just cant believe how small these things are

I will post some pictures later -it will become some Non prototypical taillighting on a Medium tank Loco

Regards

Zmil

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Zmil,

Glad you have managed to get the SMD's mastered
looking forward to seeing the pictures

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All

These things are very fiddly , they come in a plastic strip which has a clear side and a black side .

I could not believe (no I was horrified!) how small they are . Looking through the magnifying glass helps . The soldering Iron (fine point ) looks like a Ships Bow running over a tiny door , through the magnifying glass

I put it face down on blue tack and soldered on the wires on the reverse side as the contacts on these are on both sides
The Blue tack acts as heat sink as well.

The tweezers are Kadee #1020 holding the wire

A bit closer

And dimmed - The stringy bits are superglue

The thing is , if I can do it anybody can

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All

This is what I ended up using them for

As a firebox light and a Tail light in a BR64

The Original lamps I replaced with Prototype White (out of the DCC Concepts Flicker Free Kit)
The front Light is mounted on a cut off Tail from an LED and has the top filed Flat and a piece of clear plastic glued on top to aid in dispersion of light to the Light pipes in the Loco . This worked quite well and gave a more even spread of the light over the 3 headlights

There is a bit of wiring here

You can see one SMD pointing up , I glued a foil reflector in the ceiling of the Loco Cab , It ended up being a little bit brighter on one side of the Cab. The foil over the coupler pocket stops light spill through the centre of the buffer beam.

The 5 blue wires are soldered on the the motor back plate ,which I have modified with a Dremel cutting disc . Separating the Motor body , motor centre bearing , the 2 brushes and the +ve track pickup and a section to solder all the blue wires on.

The Decoder used is a TCS M4

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

Nice one, very well done, and 2 out of 2 better than me! They are such a pain but worth it. you can get SMD's into just about anywhere. I am going to try out a new glue to hold optic fibre onto the SMD's will let you know.

m

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Zmil great job well done.
Love to see that firebox flicker.

Baykal

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the positive comments
When I get my loco back (someone borrowed it for a few days) I will post some pictures
I don't have a video camera so the flickering may be hard to show

The same when taking pictures of the LEDs "dimmed" by the decoder as they are actually switched off for a portion of the time - the camera seems to pick the moment it is off , unless you slow the shutter speed right down.

Regards

Zmil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts