Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
What a stunning model, I have to admit I am not a fan of things GWR, but there is something about that one.

Regards

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Lovely. Many thanks for review - will you be posting some more?
There's something special about these models before they are painted.

For anyone who has not seen it, here is a link to a Rover 4-2-2 model which I came across while 'resarching' Broad Gauge (i.e. looking at the pictures)

Rover 4-2-2

if only I could afford it....

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The leaf springs on the Rover look like they are whitemetal castings. Now if they were made of strips of brass and really worked...

Brass locos are OK, but painted brass is beautiful - perhaps not in photos, but to the touch: fantastic.

I'm still after some brass Live steam Garratts. When I retire from this internet fad thing, I'll sell all my trains and buy one or two G-scale Live Steamers

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It's the mixture of different metals that I find attractive, but on re-reading it transpires that some of this is plated - the model is a mix of brass, nickel silver and plated pewter (?). It probably tastes horrible
(memories of nickel silver cutlery that the silver plate has worn off...)
I'd go for lacquering on that particular model, but agree that brass painted with transparent or semi-transparent paint is really stunning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts