Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
G'day all, has anyone built a Tower Models rebuilt Royal Scot kit NoGM154 and can comment on it? I don't have one of these locos yet and I'm not terribly impressed with the quality of the rtr models of the Royal Scots I've seen so far.

Thanks
Ozzie21

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tower models??? isn't that in Blackpool?? i had a model from there and it ran like a dream. (ok it was off ebay shop)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Tower models are indeed located in Blackpool Lancs.
I visited their premises while on holiday in Blackpool, and I must say that I expected a large shop with many kits on display - what a disappointment, dingy and resembling the front area of a pawn shop and very dimly lit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ozzie
You will do no better than Comet's kit. See att. two pics of one that I built. Comet's stuff is all top-notch and they're great to deal with.
Steve.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
You asked:
G'day all, has anyone built a Tower Models rebuilt Royal Scot kit NoGM154 and can comment on it? I don't have one of these locos yet and I'm not terribly impressed with the quality of the rtr models of the Royal Scots I've seen so far.

*** No, but it'll be another brand sold by Tower. I have built lots of loco kits and continue to do so, While I agree that current RTR scots (Bachmann only) are very old tooling and are pretty average I have to admit that newly released RTR is getting very, very good.

So... Two suggestions:

(1) Brassmasters - expensive but they currently have a less 20% sale. This is by far the most accurate kit made. Specify the actual loco you want to build or expect questions back as to exact tender wanted etc... A fiddly build but everything fits and works beautifully. Takes about 1-1/2 times as long as any other kit I've built, longer if you do as I do and add all the lubricating lines to the lubricators etc etc etc...

(2) The New Hornby is due. I have a couple of hi-res images of what is supposed to be the loco they will build - if they are as good as those images, then it will be a stunningly wello done loco for 1/2 the price or less compared to the brassmasters kit + wheels etc etc.
Time will tell though

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts