Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Toyota plant in Derbyshire is going to switch some deliveries to rail. Check out the story here on Autoexpress

David

·
Registered
352 Posts
What a brilliant idea, moving heavy goods on to the rail network, i remember some years back there was a suggestion to close all the railways and turn them into roads, what a sorry state we would have been in if that had happened, I can quite understand why manufactures would want to return to rail, try getting on the motorways in the mornings, they are clogged with lorries, going now where fast, and the cost to operators of lorries must be astronomical, makes sense really, lets hope more companies think of using the railways, like they did up till about the middle of the last century.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if carbon trading wasn't at the back of it somewhere. All very large companies are either under pressure, or feel the need, to reduce their 'carbon footprint'. As a manufacturer of carbon producing motor cars, Toyota have a greater need than most to be seen to be doing something about it.

David

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE (Thunder)What a brilliant idea, moving heavy goods on to the rail network, i remember some years back there was a suggestion to close all the railways and turn them into roads, what a sorry state we would have been in if that had happened, I can quite understand why manufactures would want to return to rail, try getting on the motorways in the mornings, they are clogged with lorries, going now where fast, and the cost to operators of lorries must be astronomical, makes sense really, lets hope more companies think of using the railways, like they did up till about the middle of the last century. clap.gif

Re-open branchlines
I'd love to see the minsterly brach re-opened. I highly doubt it. Stupid Rea-valley meat, Fancy building a factory on top of a trackbed

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 19 Sep 2006, 04:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wouldn't be surprised if carbon trading wasn't at the back of it somewhere. All very large companies are either under pressure, or feel the need, to reduce their 'carbon footprint'. As a manufacturer of carbon producing motor cars, Toyota have a greater need than most to be seen to be doing something about it.

David
Thats probably exactly where it's coming from. It's still a positive move though.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I don't think the Beeching Report was short-sighted. It just came up with the answers the politicians of the day wanted to hear to save them spending money on providing a sensible and up-to-date railway system. Plenty of examples have since been quoted by various people over the years about how Beeching's minions distorted traffic figures, income and sensible modernisation costs etc. to get the required answer. If the 1955 'Modernisation Plan' hadn't been so short-sighted regarding changeovers to diesel and electric and caused considerable unnecessary expense it's possible the Beeching cuts may have been significantly less than they were.
Isn't hindsight wonderful!
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ralph,

Toyota do export into Europe and so a it would be sensible to use block trains through the Chunnel. Also their engines and transmissions are built in their other factory on Deeside and so there must be a regular and continuous flow of traffic to and fro' from Cheshire.

I was involved with the Toyota site when it was under design and construction, and I heard a bit about the negotiations that went on between Derby County Council and Toyota. One of the big selling points was the potential for a rail connection from the Derby to Uttoxeter line, but then somebody built the new A50 dual carriageway beside the factory, without providing a crossing point for a railway line, so direct access now looks a remote possibility.

Is it possible that they intend to use the rail connection into the old Willington Power Station nearby to provide a transhipment point?

Colombo

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>I found this article on the BBC. It seems Tesco are shipping their goods to Scotland using rail now too.
It also got a longish slot on the Today programme this morning. It's an interesting move.

I'm not a sub-editor but, have I missed something in this paragraph:-

"The project is expected to generate £3m of environmental benefits over as many years, according to ministers."

I read that as saying the project is going save £3m in 3m years or one pound a year. I've been backwards through the article but probably because I am looking, I can't find another time period reference.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 20 Sep 2006, 02:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>I found this article on the BBC. It seems Tesco are shipping their goods to Scotland using rail now too.
It also got a longish slot on the Today programme this morning. It's an interesting move.

I'm not a sub-editor but, have I missed something in this paragraph:-

"The project is expected to generate £3m of environmental benefits over as many years, according to ministers."

I read that as saying the project is going save £3m in 3m years or one pound a year. I've been backwards through the article but probably because I am looking, I can't find another time period reference.

David
I'm hoping they mean 3 years. Either that or they will be using the rail line for 3 million years!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts