Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Regarding holding finely detailed locos upside-down for wheel cleaning, there is someone I've seen advertising foam "U" blocks for both this purpose and for protection in transit. I regret I cannot find his advert at present.

I tend to use cotton-buds and IPA (Iso-propyl Alcohol) - apply the IPA with one end of the cotton-bud, leave for a few seconds to soak into the dirt and use the clean end to remove said dirt. IPA is better than Methylated Spirits - it does not contain the impurities deliberately added to the latter to stop people drinking it, and evaporates more slowly.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I get my IPA from RS Components. It should be kept away from bodies; although it will not affect the plastic it may affect paint, printed decals etc. Hence the use of cotton buds to provide controlled application.

The phosgene Colombo mentions: that comes from the partial breakdown on heating of 'clorinated hydrocarbons' such as Carbon Tetra-chloride, which used to be popular as a degreaser. This and similar solvents are generally withdrawn these days because of their effect on the 'Ozone Layer' if they are released into the atmosphere. IPA is made from carbon, hydrogen and oxygen and there is relatively little danger from it if basic precautions are taken. It should be used in a well-ventilated space - that's no problem in my loft!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Re my post #5 - it is Peco who make a foam "Locomotive Servicing Cradle" part PL-70, at £4.45 inc VAT. They reckon it is suitable for OO/HO, N and 00-9 locos. It is on page 93 of the current Catalogue.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Dear Brian,

Rail Zip got a large chunk of discussion late last year - see page 5 of this part of the Forum. It's possible that topic may answer your question(s) on Rail Zip.
It was first posted by double00 on the 2nd November 2005. Or try the 'Search Topic' facility.
Regards,
John Webb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.