Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi all
For track cleaning I recommend firstly using a track rubber e.g. the Peco one or similar. This will remove virtually all the surface crud without damaging the surface of the rails. Then once the railheads are cleaned I find all that's necessary is a weekly application of Surgical Spirit applied via a lint free cloth (An old cotton handkerchief is ideal) to remove the dirt and oil left behind. by running sessions. Reuse of the track cleaning rubber is only necessary when railhead conditions get bad or after prolonged non use of the railway when the rails start to tarnish. I'm looking into the possible use of a specially made tanker wagon which is then filled with Surgical Spirit and is then towed or pushed around the track, cleaning as it goes. There is a commercially available tanker in "N", "HO" or "0" scale but its price is rather high Track Cleaning Tanker
Wheels I clean by using the Peco loco cradle and with the loco inverted I apply track power via two fly leads and use a fibre glass pencil type cleaner to de crud and then polish the wheels while they are rotating - Don't forget to clean the insides of the flanges where any wiping contacts will make contact. Also manually clean trailing and bogie wheels too. Be careful to remove all particles left from the brushing before running the loco.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.