Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Following on from the Rail Zip topic a few months ago...

Now that I have a complete circuit once again, I need to clean a few steam loco wheels. It's a task I have neither enjoyed nor been successful at, so I have three questions

1) Has anybody tried those Centerline track cleaners that Bromsgrove model are selling for ~£47 each? Are they any good and does the good work eventually lead to clean loco wheels.

2) How do you clean your loco wheels? I have one of those Peco wire brush things but a) I have never found them particularly successful and
Today's models are so delicate, holding one upside down while brushing its wheels does not seem to be a good idea.

3) Is there a magic fluid that really works? I have used Peco track rubbers in the past but I don't like the residue as it tends to find its way into motors and that ain't a good thing.

Final point, I'm going DCC, so Relco et al is not an option for me.

David
That sunglass's thing is supposed to be point b. You can never get smilies where you want them :)

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Here's a follow up question:-

Where do you get IPA? - a chemist or an electronics outlet like Maplin. I know the repairs department in one place I used to work used IPA a lot.

David

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>if you smoke
Model trains and smoke? I'm not that rich

Cheers Colombo
David

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks John. I pick up the Peco catalogue when I am in a model shop and then I put it down again. I think I'd actually buy a Wills / Ratio one though.

David

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I found this advance announcement on the Bachus website tonight. Apparently they are going to show a wheel cleaner for non-powered wheels at a show in Toronto next month. I am intrigued. Given that they make rolling roads, I guess it's a variation on a theme.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.