Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a Tomix track cleaner wagon for my n gauge layout. Would it be OK to use isopropyl alcohol in it ? have used it as a track cleaning fluid manually but don't want to melt or damage the Tomix.

Its the blue wagon same as the Dapol.

If not, what fluid is recommended.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (lincolnngauge @ 13 Jan 2009, 18:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have bought a Tomix track cleaner wagon for my n gauge layout. Would it be OK to use isopropyl alcohol in it ? have used it as a track cleaning fluid manually but don't want to melt or damage the Tomix.

Its the blue wagon same as the Dapol.

If not, what fluid is recommended.

Thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum

I have never used Isopropyl Alchohol in my tomix track cleaner but have used Tomix's track cleaning fluid it works well as far as i know the Dapol shop sells it ....no doubt others may have the answer to the Alcohol though let us know how you go on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

I have just looked on the Dapol site and cannot find it. One item number is Tomix 6401 which was on one the reviews but this returned zero results.

The only thing I have found on the Dapol site is the replacement cleaning heads.

The only apparent UK supplier when typing Tomix 6401 into Google is Osbourne but they have being showing out of stock for some time.

Is there a Dapol product code ?

I am going to try one of the stockists and see if I can any success.

Where do other users of this track cleaner buy their fluid from ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I use IPA, seems to work fine but brings the blue paint off a bit when it splashes on the bodywork so I guess the official fluid must be something different. Also the fabric comes unstuck from the cleaning pad after maybe an hour's use, not sure if this is the IPA attacking the glue or whether it would happen anyway. No apparent effect on the plastic of the wagon itself or of the cleaning pads.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (lincolnngauge @ 13 Jan 2009, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you

I have just looked on the Dapol site and cannot find it. One item number is Tomix 6401 which was on one the reviews but this returned zero results.

The only thing I have found on the Dapol site is the replacement cleaning heads.

The only apparent UK supplier when typing Tomix 6401 into Google is Osbourne but they have being showing out of stock for some time.

Is there a Dapol product code ?

I am going to try one of the stockists and see if I can any success.

Where do other users of this track cleaner buy their fluid from ?

Thank you

Hi
After ringing Dapol they still stock the Tomix cleaning fluid 6401 but are out of stock expecting delivery in the next two weeks if you wish to wait for it to come back in stock here is the shop number .......

http://www.dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=co...5&Itemid=79

The only other stockist of it as you have found is Osbornes.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
A question by a fellow modeller here in Australia regarding the safety of Isopropyl Alchohol which maybe answered by MRF members.

Ron,

I am not questioning how effective IPA is as a cleaner. My past
experience is that it is very good in many applications.

My question is how fire-safe is it in the presence of electrical
sparks between the wheels and rails? Can anyone advise whether it is
flammable?

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Had to reread post cos at first I thought you meant IPA, a brand of beer here in the uk!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Had to reread post cos at first I thought you meant IPA, a brand of beer here in the uk!

Until recently I had the opposite problem - "What was this IPA stuff being sold in pubs?". Then I learned that IPA also meant "Indian Pale Ale" - a brew created specifically to endure the long sea voyage to India.

David

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My can of IPA (no not the beer) is marked as highly flammable. However I regularly use a loco to push the track cleaner that dispenses it, so it runs over the track where the IPA has just been dropped and it hasn't gone "wooooffff" yet. Famous last words!

Actually thinking about it the motor and pickups of the track cleaner itself would be much closer to the source of fuel so where the loco is doesn't matter much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts