Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Next item from Tony's Train Exchange is the CMX+ Clean Machine.

FEATURES
* Precision Machined Parts.
* Solid Brass Construction.
* Non-unraveling pads.
* Body mount Kadee couplers.
* Easy Fill Design.
* Leak proof valve and fill port.
* Heavy weight does the job.
* Quick Change Pads.
* Drag pads won't catch on switch points, frogs, and any other pieces of trackwork.
* Spill resistant design.
* Solvent proof design.
* Both solvent/abrasive options.
* Large reservoir.
* Multi-directional (push or pull)
* Controllable dispensing rate.
* Width of Pad Assembly (HO) : 1.0"
* Height (HO : 1.75"

The Clean Machine being pulled by my Bachmann Spectrum Shay:

The Shay has quite a bit of pulling power and it also has Kaydee couplers.

I tested the Clean Machine with Acetone in the reservoir. Drop rate is easy to set at about a drop ever 4 to 6 seconds. Close off the valves for storage afterwards to prevent leaks. The Clean Machine is heavy - about 350g when about half full of solvent. You need a good loco to pull it. I need to convert the couplers or get some Kaydees for a Class 20.

CAUTION: Solvents such as Acetone are volatile and flammable. Read label carefully and follow all instructions for use. Fast solvents, when properly used, are superior for track cleaning. These solvents are aggressive and virtually vaporize all organic matter, leaving no residue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Doug, would I be right in saying that the solvent used will destroy traction tyres? I only ask as I am looking at getting a track cleaning vehicle but my large fleet of older stock is mostly fitted with traction tyres...

Regards,

Dan

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (Dan Hamblin @ 4 May 2007, 16:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Doug, would I be right in saying that the solvent used will destroy traction tyres? I only ask as I am looking at getting a track cleaning vehicle but my large fleet of older stock is mostly fitted with traction tyres...

I have no idea.

You can use other solvents and cleaners. The included instructions gives quite a good resumé on different cleaners and solvents and what they can actually do.

Check out the instructions here (including a chemist's perspective on track cleaning).

The chemist recommends lacquer thinner and in conjunction with the CMX, it is probably more effective than any single-component solvent.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have on many occasions tried several methods in keeping track clean and to date found no solution. Perhaps the best and cheapest being "Cloth and ample dose of elbow grease"

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Would the Herkat cleaning solution work with this unit
I get a little worried when introducing Flammable's to a detailed model railway.
I have found Roco Clean wagons to be up to the job.
I'll watch this subject with interest

All the best.

David

·
Registered
487 Posts
As of interest regarding mentioned cleaning track units - on average use of layout how often is it required to run unit to keep rail surfaces clear of foreign deposits

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 6 May 2007, 13:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have found Roco Clean wagons to be up to the job.

We use them all the time with the springs removed - they certainly help to keep clean track clean. We also use the Viessmann Track Cleaning Tool to get at the odd subborn bits under the catenary.

The only thing we have found that will acually clean very dirty track is the Lux Powered Cleaning Wagon & Vacuum Cleaner - not cheap though at around £200 RRP ! - surprisingly we sell a set around every 4/5 months & have excellent feedback about them.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I used to have an old Tri-ang track cleaner..the old boxcar.

In times past, I used to use Thawpit 'dry[?]' cleaning fluid.....but can't seem to find it nowadays.

On previous layouts, years ago, a good track cleaning session used to have a better effect than a good night out down the pub!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thawpit included Carbon Tetrachloride, I recall. This was banned for domestic use some while ago due to it's unpleasent properties. Also more recently because of its effect on the Ozone layer.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 6 May 2007, 18:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As of interest regarding mentioned cleaning track units - on average use of layout how often is it required to run unit to keep rail surfaces clear of foreign deposits

I normally give four or five curcuits of the layout,before a operating session starts,always have the cleaning coach as part of a train,Ideally next to the loco.
Also use a loco with pulling power, I use a Roco V200.
The only part I clean manually is between point blade and rail on Peco points,with cotton buds.
But the Rolls Royce of track cleaning are the Lux units mentioned by Brian.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
And here are some pictures of the Lux Cleaning Wagons.

The left hand one is the powered cleaner itself - the top of the wagon can be removed & the wheel positioned to clean catenary wires.
The middle one is the vacuum cleaner wagon - I was very sceptical about this until I saw all the fine particals of c*** in the containment box.
The right hand one shows the vacuum cleaner wagon with the body removed - LH part is the motor cover, the centre part is the containment box & the RH part id the air outlet & filter.
You can get them DCC fitted, but its more cost effective to buy them "as is" & fit your own decoder(s).
Anyone want any further information then please send me a PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Carbon Tetrachloride also known as Thawpit for the domestic market. Cleaner was mainly used for cleaning electrical units as the liquid was non-conductive to electrical current.
Removal from the market of CT and Thawpit was due to contents of carbon and lead.
The white residue powder left on units being cleaned was deemed as a health hazard.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anybody (Doug, dbclass50) able to advise as to the best price we can expect to pay for these units? Personally I have no problem with the age old method of meths on a rag but when it comes to tunnels or less accessible parts of the layout these could well be the answer I'm looking for. I did look on Tony's Train Exchange for the price of the CMX+ but wondered if anybody knows of a better (cheaper?) source.

Steve

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Re: The Roco Clean

QUOTE We use them all the time with the springs removed - they certainly help to keep clean track clean

I also removed the springs and made simple replacement soft leaf springs. I run mine with masonite pads rather than Roco's cleaning pads and find them quite effective.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gofer @ 7 May 2007, 22:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anybody (Doug, dbclass50) able to advise as to the best price we can expect to pay for these units? Personally I have no problem with the age old method of meths on a rag but when it comes to tunnels or less accessible parts of the layout these could well be the answer I'm looking for. I did look on Tony's Train Exchange for the price of the CMX+ but wondered if anybody knows of a better (cheaper?) source.

Steve

Gofer - if you send me a PM I can give you a current price.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
After my CMX N scale machine arrived this morning i'm looking for a suitable cleaning fluid not to damage the layout surroundings when applied ........ Acetone is another name for nail polish remover as we know very agressive if the rails were weathered the acetone would remove it over time surely.

Has anyone tried Goo Gone or similar products as i have Tomix's cleaning fluid already for the Tomix car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi
This product looks great.
Stupid question (no doubt): is there a fire hazard using volatile solvents such as acetone when cleaning tracks which have active electronic cleaners in operation? I have Gaugemaster cleaners wired in and if I use a loco-hauled cleaner is there a possibility that it will catch fire???

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Acetone will melt most plastics (and J Cloths too). Ask at your chemist for Isopropyl Alcohol. Make sure it's the pure type without water.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Hi Nick

Goo Gone cleans well but it does need cleaning off afterwards as it also leaves behind a residue that attracts gunk if not removed completely.

I suggest a try a run with goo gone if you like, but always followed by filling it with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). I presume you should be able to buy this somewhere locally - its used as a cleaner in many industries.

Richard

QUOTE (upnick @ 10 Jan 2009, 22:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After my CMX N scale machine arrived this morning i'm looking for a suitable cleaning fluid not to damage the layout surroundings when applied ........ Acetone is another name for nail polish remover as we know very agressive if the rails were weathered the acetone would remove it over time surely.

Has anyone tried Goo Gone or similar products as i have Tomix's cleaning fluid already for the Tomix car.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Poliss/Richard,

I'll try the goo gone and Isopropyl alcohol combination though getting IPA from the chemist round here is difficult as its been taken off their lists after a bod decided it was good fun to drink

IPA by the way is a great thinner for Tamiya paints

1 - 20 of 36 Posts