Model Railway Forum banner

Track > Code 100/93?

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Gary 
#1 ·
Hi People,

I was looking over the net today for packs of track for my DCC layout which I am building in my loft (00Scale).

Well I came accross packs of Peco tracks, but one says Code 100 and the other says Code 75 (Fine Scale). At present, I only have Hornby's track which came with the Pendolino sets plus track pack B I think, Please can somebody advise me on what track would be compatable by Peco for use with the Hornby Stuff.
Would I be allowed to post links to a website where I would buy it from or would it be classed as advertising? If not I would appreciate it if somebody could drop me an email.

Please note, I am new to all this stuff and my first project is going to (hopfully) be a big one.

Many Thanks

Regards

#2 ·
Hi Breaston and welcome to the forum,

Peco Settrack along with their streamline code 100 series is compatible with Hornby rails.
Code 75, as you say is for fine scale and is not compatible with Hornby.

Enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Baykal

#3 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 21 Oct 2007, 17:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Breaston and welcome to the forum,

Peco Settrack along with their streamline code 100 series is compatible with Hornby rails.

Enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Baykal

Hello Baykal,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. Is the "Streemline code 100" flexible, or would I need Peco code SL100GS/B which is flexlible according to a description I have read on a shop website?

I am hoping to change my "Breaston" name as thats where I live, as I will be trying to recreate my local station which has since closed many decades ago.

Many thanks.
Kyle

#4 ·
Hi Kyle,

Peco's Streamline series consists of all sorts of turnouts (Short,medium ,long), crossings,double slips,Wyes and of course the flexitrack. All are Nickel-Silver rails.

Peco Settrack range is the exact replica ( in geometry ) as the Hornby rails. Don't think they are Nickel- Silver tough.

Check Hattons website for further details.

Cheers
Baykal

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Remember that Hornby do flexible track. For all flexible track and Peco Streamline track you will need seperate packs of fishplates (track joiners) as this track does not come with fishplates fitted. All Peco track is now nickel silver. This was not always the case so if you see secondhand track it is worth seeing if it is magnetic. If it is then the rail is steel and not nickel silver which is not magnetic.

Happy modelling
Gary

#6 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Oct 2007, 00:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Breaston and welcome to the forum,

Enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Baykal

#7 ·
Doop - finger trouble - sorry

What I'd intended to say...

Is the question what is compatible with hornby track - or which Peco track is compatible with hornby rolling stock and loco's????

Peco code 75 is indeed quite compatible with all recent / current Horny and bachmann locomotives and rolling stock etc.... and is a far better looking track as well.

If its a new extensive project that will grow wo a mature layout, I'd certainly dump or on-sell the code 100already supplied with the train packs and choose code 75 ahead of code 100 every time!

Richard

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Richard makes a good point.

If it is your intention to run new and secondhand vintage stuff on the track then best to use Hornby as secondhand stuff can derail on Peco points due to tight frogs and rail catchers. If it is your intention to operate with new stuff only and items with finescale wheels then Peco is fine. Code 75 track is harder to work with as a newbie as it is fragile and tricky to cut unless you purchase a rail cutter tool.

I like running the vintage stuff so its Hornby track for me every time and not too fussed by what others say. For a lot of point action in a short space you can't beat set track points.

The only thing is though you mention DCC and therefore there is another issue.

Do you go for insulfrog (self isolating) or electrofrog points (offering more positive running of locos over point frogs as they are live and not plastic).

If electrofrog then it has to be Peco as Hornby don't do these. Peco electrofrog points do make DCC life slightly complex from a wiring and isolating point of view.

Hornby offer a point clip (included with your train set?) that you insert into Hornby self isolating points to make them non isolating which is ideal for DCC as you can then electrify all the track without having a seperate wiring loom and no need to isolate anything.

I am keeping it all as simple and broad as I can. Others can go into the fine detail which no doubt they will!

My BIG tip would be to make the first project a SMALL one and experiment with the track that is available so that you can work out for yourself which is best for you before you start your BIG project!

Happy modelling
Gary

#9 ·
Kyle,

Do you have a model shop somewhere locally where you can see the products side by side? That may help with making a decision. The larger radius points available from Peco in both the 75 and 100 ranges look so much better than regular set-track, particularly if operating long modern rolling stock, and offer much more reliable running. Same thing with using flexible track for much larger radius curves than available in set-track. Code 75 flexible is actually easier to use than code 100, both in laying and cutting, as the rail section is smaller. The real joy in using flexible track is that the layout can be very precisely tailored to fit the location, and you can do nice stuff like gentle transitions into curves, rather than the abrupt straight - tight radius curve appearance of set-track.

No need to dump your existing code 100 either if going code 75, Peco have available a convertor rail joiner; or alternatively you can crush flat one end of a code 100 joiner, and solder half a code 75 joiner on top. This means it can be used in storage sidings, or for any concealed non-scenic type trackwork which most layouts have.

#10 ·
QUOTE Code 75 flexible is actually easier to use than code 100, both in laying and cutting, as the rail section is smaller.

That's my experience too. The code 75 is much inclined to revert to the straight and narrow than code 100 when you're laying curves.

Gary does make a valuable point (no pun intended) about being extra careful with code 75. It is much easier to strip the rail from the sleepers through rough handling. Once the rail has parted company from the sleepers it's probably not worth trying to put it back as there will be a slight "bump" which you will curse each time your stock derails on it. Keep it flat on the base board when you are manipulating it and you'll be fine.

David

#11 ·
Oh I am confused now (doesn't take much to confuse me).

Perhaps this info might be able to help you more:
  • DCC all over layout using mixture of Hornby and ? Peco Track
  • Only modern made new released items will be running, manufacturers Hornby and Bachmann only
  • Controls via Hornby Select.
I will have another read of your coments again, many thanks for those who have repied above, I'm sure it will help me in one way...

#12 ·
QUOTE Oh I am confused now (doesn't take much to confuse me).

• DCC all over layout using mixture of Hornby and ? Peco Track
  • Only modern made new released items will be running, manufacturers Hornby and Bachmann only

Sorry about that. This Forum will always provide more information than you could ever want
well not in one sitting anyway.

Although you are only running modern stuff, let's simplify matters by dropping the idea of Peco code 75 "Finescale".

That leaves you with Hornby Setrack, Peco Setrack and Peco code 100 Streamline (That's the track in blue boxes). All these track types use the same size of rail so there shouldn't be too much difficulty connecting them together.

If your space is limited - say 4 foot wide max and you want to have an oval so that you can watch the trains go by, I'd stick with Hornby / Peco setrack curves and not bother with the flexible track.

If you aren't looking for super slow running over pointwork or don't mind giving engines a 'finger poke' when they stall on the dead parts of the points, stick with setrack points or the "plain" Peco points. That will keep the wiring a lot simpler too.

Summary simple solution: Stick with Hornby / Peco setrack and you'll be fine.

David

#13 ·
Space isn't a problem, as it will be in the loft and there is ample room in there.

So I understand, Code 100 is the same as Hornby Set Track, and the Code 100 Flexi Track is the same, again, as Hornby Set track?

I will be using Hornby Points as I have got plenty of those.

Once this has been confirmed I have a second query to ask regarding Track, which I am hoping won't take a long time to sort out.

Many thanks

Kyle

#14 ·
QUOTE So I understand, Code 100 is the same as Hornby Set Track, and the Code 100 Flexi Track is the same, again, as Hornby Set track?
As far as I know, yes they are but I have never joined Peco streamline flexi track to Hornby setrack. All code 100 rail is the same height. I don't know if the flat part at the bottom is the same width. This is where the rail joiners go so it's important that they are tightish fit on both parts so that you get a good electrical connection.

If no one comes along to confirm or deny it, I suggest you get hold of a yard of Peco streamline to check before buying a whole load of the stuff. Hornby to Hornby should be no problem.

David

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have connected Peco code 100 streamline Flexi track to Hornby setrack and it's ok no problems at all.

Plus I am on my second box of flexi track and I have used my Hornby points in the hidden sidings with the flexi track.

#17 ·
Hi again Kyle,

I use Hornby settrack (all straights + all curves + turnouts+ Hornby flexi ), Peco settrack, Peco streamline turnouts + Peco flexi track. All are code 100 and you can intermingle all with each other, no problem. Just stay away from Peco code 75.

PS: You only have to decide if you want to use electro or insulfrog points. Thats up to you. ( all Hornby points are insulfrog where as, you only have that choice in Peco.)

Cheers
Baykal

#19 ·
QUOTE (Breaston @ 22 Oct 2007, 18:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh I am confused now (doesn't take much to confuse me).

• DCC all over layout using mixture of Hornby and ? Peco Track*******
I will have another read of your coments again, many thanks for those who have repied above, I'm sure it will help me in one way...

72C, it was only intended because of what kyle said above.Just to keep things simple enough.

Baykal

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Baykal,

You can mix code 75 and code 100 without significant problem and for some applications, code 75 supplies the only suitable Peco track formation. Almost all modern wheel profiles will run on code 75 except for all style Trix and Piko but surely these wheels should be replaced anyway?

We should (IMHO) be giving the poster some help for the future and the present.

#22 ·
What's your other question, Breaston? We might as well be getting on with that.

By the way, comment to 72C, although I have recently changed over to peco code 75, I wouldn't recommend it to a newcommer, especially one who says he is going to use lots of Hornby points - rather negates the reason for using it.

#23 ·
Hi, my other question is:

I have 2 Hornby Select control units to use on 2 different circuits.

Can the 2 circuits cross over each others lines, using cross overs, even though the circuits are not connected to each other? Not sure about doing this anyway but thought I might as well ask...

Thanks again for the comments on track,,,,,,,,,

#24 ·
QUOTE You can mix code 75 and code 100 without significant problem and for some applications, code 75 supplies the only suitable Peco track formation. Almost all modern wheel profiles will run on code 75 except for all style Trix and Piko but surely these wheels should be replaced anyway?

We should (IMHO) be giving the poster some help for the future and the present.

Code 75 had already been suggested but Breaston said he was suffering from information overload so we removed code 75 from the equation as it was over complicating matters at this stage.

When he has digested this lot of data and finds he wants electrofrog slips and crossings that's when we can introduce mixing and matching the two. One half of my layout is code 100, the other half code 75.

Maybe Breaston will be so emboldened by his experience that the skips the code 75 stage and goes straight to building his own with a little help from some of the very competent members on this Forum of course
. Just don't ask me.

David

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE I have 2 Hornby Select control units to use on 2 different circuits.

QUOTE In reply to Breaston's second question, I might be revealing my naivety about DCC here but - isn't the whole point of it that you don't need two controllers for two or more trains at the same time?

True.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with having two isolated and seperately controlled circuits operated with two Select consoles and two transformers, one Select console will control everything as long as the whole layout is powered by one transformer.

If the reason for this is to do with the upper limits of the Select console then why not use an Elite with 2 knobs and more capability to control the whole layout. You can link up the Select to the Elite and use it as a second walkabout controller if it is the intention to have two operators.

Just think of the layout of any size and all its branches off as being one track on which you can run 10 trains at the same time and you won't go far wrong!

You may have two ovals (an inner and outer) and this is still one track if they are linked with points or leads.

You can control a loco shunting in the sidings at the same time as controlling a loco doing 126mph on the mainline. The whole layout is live.

Happy modelling
Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.