Model Railway Forum banner

Track > Code 100/93?

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Gary 
#1 ·
Hi People,

I was looking over the net today for packs of track for my DCC layout which I am building in my loft (00Scale).

Well I came accross packs of Peco tracks, but one says Code 100 and the other says Code 75 (Fine Scale). At present, I only have Hornby's track which came with the Pendolino sets plus track pack B I think, Please can somebody advise me on what track would be compatable by Peco for use with the Hornby Stuff.
Would I be allowed to post links to a website where I would buy it from or would it be classed as advertising? If not I would appreciate it if somebody could drop me an email.

Please note, I am new to all this stuff and my first project is going to (hopfully) be a big one.

Many Thanks

Regards

#27 ·
QUOTE on which you can run 10 trains at the same time and you won't go far wrong!

...so long as you know exactly where the emergency stop button is.....

David

#29 ·
basically my "rough sketch" isn't how it will be at all. the cross over is just so I can send locos from one side (circuit) to the other where sidings will be, but this should show what i mean, and I do want to use 2 select controlers using 2 power supplies so I can run more having, in theory, 2 layouts in one.

Kyle

#30 ·
The core idea with DCC is a single master control unit to run a layout, which can have connected to it multiple handsets, and also multiple power supplies. In this way a DCC system is expandable (to the design limits of the particular system) to enable as many operators and locos as required to work on the layout.

The set up as drawn will work perfectly well as two independent layouts, but a problem will arise when attempting to move a loco between the red and black zones, in either direction. Simply, because the two Select units are independent, if the loco is on the 'red' Select, the 'black' Select will not have the information for speed and direction. So on arriving on the 'black' track it will be up to the operator to set matching speed and direction if there is not to be a sudden stop. There may be some problems as the wheels bridged any insulating rail breaks too, but this could be overcome by a switched transfer track. Nothing wrong with choosing to do this, but DCC makes provision for an easier way!

I do not know whether the Select unit has the provision to use one as the master, connecting the second one as a slave. As Gary wrote the Elite does make this provision, acting as the master controller, with the Select units as slave handsets for further operators.

#31 ·
Thank you for including your track plan. If the places where the tracks cross is intended to be on the level, i.e. one does not go over the other on a bridge, then be aware that this is very unlike the real thing in Britain. In fact, if there is a single example of it in this country then I would be interested to know where it is. Of course this may not matter to you.

#32 ·
There is at least one standard-gauge crossing 'on the level' near Newark, where the East Coast main line is crossed by the line from Nottingham to Lincoln.

There is also a replacement crossing installed earlier this year at Portmadoc, where the narrow-gauge Welsh Highland Railway is being rebuilt and crosses the standard-gauge line between Pwllheli and Dovey Junction. The original was removed after the WHR closed down many years ago.

But such crossings are not popular on the prototype because of the mutual interference between the two lines; hence the use of fly-overs or under-passes.

Regards,
John Webb

#33 ·
QUOTE But such crossings are not popular on the prototype because of the mutual interference between the two lines; hence the use of fly-overs or under-passes.

Even more so with DCC and the running of multiple trains on the same track.

It will be akin to figure of 8 banger racing at Hendnesford Raceway and would almost certainly lead to a similar result!

Happy modelling
Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.