Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have just started to build a track and im at a loss or all out to sea on this, i just cant seem to get a descent track layout. OO gauge. When i do lay the track i think nah its not right, so i was hoping if anyone could help please, with some idea of a layout or some program (free download to plan one). My funds at the mo are far and few between.
Here is what i have:

6ft x 4ft base board for the layout, already built.
My tracks are as follows,
R606 X 3, R8073 X 5, R8072 X 4, R600 X 21, R601 X 4, R607 X 4, R605 X 15, R607 X 16, 1 X DOUBLE ROAD CROSSING.

I know its a cheek but i just cant get it right, so if anyone has any ideas please please can u help me.
Thanks.
Phill Collins.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I don't think for a layout of your size you need Xtrackcad which is available for a free down load why don't you buy the Hornby track plan book it's quite good and you can extract ideas from it maybe combine the ones you like. Peco also have a range of track plan books and I'm sure you'll find something there or CJ Freezer or Ian rice are both authors to lookout for.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
try ''60 plans for small railways''...a peco booklet.

I have more or less replicated what I seem to recall is their 2nd or 3rd plane.

I have used a board smaller than 6x4....more like 5'6" by about 3'6"......to fit in my lads bedroom over the stairwell block...it folds in half as well......

whilst I am rubbish at providing diagrams, I can describe as follows:-

a basic oval, on the long sides passing the baseboard edge within about 1-2"...enough for coach clearances...same on two short sides.

because I used flex track, the left side is 'waisted' a bit in towards the centre..about 2", provides a bit of relief from straight track.....something to avoid on a small board....also allows slightly tighter curves, but important to relieve each bend..ie lead in gently....

on the right side...using curved points (setrack)...starting at top and bottom [short side of board], a passing loop...thus, looking from short side, left side single track, right side loop.
This loop is in an 'S' shape like the left side....ensure the curves of the inner track dont exceed tightest radius setrack curve.

from the inside loop, a RH point leads off into the middle, towards the rear.....the curved portion forms the curve of the loop, bringing its direction back parallel to the long side edge of the board....alongside its outer brother.

the spur off leads to a bay platform.

platforms are built both sides of the loop, at the far end...ie up the long side, curving around to the top middle...where the loop starts.

so the inside platform has the bay behind it.

immediately the bay road leaves the main line (loop)...another small wye point leads to another spur.....originally a goods shed.

however, my son bought a peco turntable kit......and despite its innappropriateness..I had to ffit it in, so I ran a kickback offhtis second spur, to the foreground inner area, and built in the TT, with an engine shed.

there was another spur comming off the inner loop, opposite end to the platforms...which curved around inside the main running line..to a pit for loco servicing....this before the appearance of the TT!

the left side top end of the running line is in a tunnel...one tunnel mouth being visible...the ide for the other end is, where it leaves the station, to disappear under a girder road bridge, into a fake cutting......to disguise the fact it comes back on itself...the layout being viewed more or less from one and a half sides only..due to walls.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I use a 7'x4' baseboard, installed track to Peco's many diagrams in their track plans, suitable according to chosen size of base board. It is possible to alter plans by adding or removing various set track.

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Hi Phill,

To future proof you layout, please don't use the R605 curvess (better known as 1st radius) as most newer loco's from all makes tend not to like running round that tight corners and will slow trains down that are longer than 4 - 5 coaches with the 'drag' factor, use as a minimum R 607 (2nd radius) and R609 (3rd radius)

As money is a variable, you can pick up really cheep curves at your local swap meet for a couple of quid.

When you find the plan your happy with, post some pics as we would like to see how your getting on

Goog Luck and happy modelling

Brian

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
since the OP has only a baseboard area of 6 feet X 4 feet....the limitations of 1st radius curves are less of an issue regarding stock, perhaps?

because, the TYPES of stock that will not look out of place on such a board size won't be the larger mainline locos.
In fact, this is an issue I have long upheld...the need to tie in one's stock acquisitions with the limtiations of the layout..hence, small locos, shoprter DMU's such as Horby's older sets....which look less out of place on even 3rd radius curves....so, short freight vehicles, shorter -type coaches.....although Bachman Mk1's can cope with 1st radius with small mods......and so on...in fact, setting a prototype timescale back to pre-grouping eras, prior to 1923, has its advantages on a small layout area?

the ideal situation is to have the largest radius one's site can comfortably cope with.

This is where I differ from Hornby-style setrack plans, in as much as, rather than having 90degree curves joined by (short on 6X4) straight bits....better to have much larger radius curves with little or no straight bits...flex comes into its own there?

However...given the size of board, there is a limit to the radius of curve that will fit within its confines.

(allow 1 1/2"--2" gap on either side..dont run track up to the edge)

thus, with broader radii on the 'main' running tracks, those loops, sidings etc inside that line needs must be tighter radius.......hence the need for 1st radius curves at some point...even if only of limited quantity.

A particular layout idea I like is the double-sided idea, with a large backscene board cutting the rectanglar baseboard in two...either lengthwys, or diagonally..(my preferred choice)

this effectively gives one, two shelf layouts back to back on the same board.......keep track layouts simple....and have vastly different scenery or scene on either side.

layout needs to be viewed from both sides (long sides?), although one edge agin a wall is tolerable?

[perhaps an idea for a ''serving hatch'' railway??...One half in each room?]

4 Posts
Basicly what I did was i look at other peoples layouts and took some ideas that they had and combind them together

here is a list of good layouts you might be interested in

Camelot Juction ( this is the layout that inspired me to take on the task of building layout)
http://www.camelotjunction.co.uk/

Dyserth Road
http://www.dyserth-road.co.uk/

Wells Green TMD
http://www.wellsgreen-tmd.co.uk/

Norwood Park
http://www.freewebs.com/norwoodpark/

Stafford Central
http://staffordcentral.co.uk

I hope this is some help to you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for all the info and hepl, im going for a industry and a small working mens village and now i just got to work the track bit out. I shall endevour to post any updates when and if it happens, as due to shift work i dont get alot of time, untill i get me 4 day rest day in 3 weeks.
Thanx again Phill.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
well done.....with a small space, often a simple subject, well modelled, has greater impact than trying to cram too much in?

at least you wont be trying to scream a Virgin Voyager around the outside?

I built an end-to-end once on a 6X nearly 4.........started on one side with a very small terminus...( 0-4-2T as of GWR, plus autocoach...so the platform could be short...pannier tank for the goods....then around one end to the other side...I had a backscene/skyboard down the middle, but not all the way to the end.....the ground was built up to meet the backscene behind the terminus station, and along the middle...the main line went around the outside and back up the other side, where I had an industry of sorts, with a halt...into a fiddling yard behind a factory.....the ridge of ground the backscene wason[in?] was continued round the corner too, and along the other side......

sort of two separate scenes, without having to blend one into the other?

Unfortunately I have yet to master our new scanner so my pathetic attempts at diagrams I cannot post!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts