Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi There is nothing wrong with having a single track circuit . Whilst running two trains at the same time could be good a single line with passing loops can offer operating interest as well. All though an 8x4 board can accommodate a double track there is a risk it could be come all track. It really depends on your preference and want you want from your layout. One thing to consider is that at 8x4 before your longest train may only have four coaches any more and they may be classed as tail chasers . For example a while back I took some measurements and a Castle class and four Collett 60ft coaches work out at around 4ft. Its just a thought to ponder on . Jim

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi Kristopher Yes nothing at all wrong with your opinion my point was that there are options . Your layout is quite big and depicts a busy place so lots of track is in keeping with your theme . When you have only an 8x4 space it does restrict your ambitions some what if you want something realistic. By the way I believe passing loops were rare in steam days except maybe in station areas as facing points were discouraged so my suggestion of them incorrect. Barney could put a scenic break in with storage loops behind to hold trains off scene this might help the layout look more realistic . Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts