Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have ordered a Thomas set R9071 for my son for XMAS, I would like to know what track is included, I mean the R Numbers for the curves and straights.

What Curves can be used on the trackmat ??

Is it cheaper to order the add on packs, or to buy the track separate.
What R Numbers are included in the add on packs. I'm sure that I have got track at home that I can use. Any help given would be great.

far-lands

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
All the information about set extension packs are on the Hornby website and the link below takes you straight to the info:-

http://www.hornby.com/pages/prod_disp.aspx...y1=40&x=56&y=16

The Thomas Set that you have purchased has an oval with radius 2 curves and the following track mat plan in. There is a special R9080 Track Pack 6 for Thomas which extends the layout beyonds packs 1-5 above it would appear:-

In terms of value the track packs do save you money however it is possible to buy track at discounted prices. It is also possible to buy track packs at discounted prices! You really have to do your own research here however overall track packs should save you money.

Have a good Xmas!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
487 Posts
It would be best to roughly make a sketch drawn on paper of the layout you want to build. You will certainly need a board of 6'x4' fixed to a frame 2"x1" timber.
Is your layout to be a permanent structure i.e. in the loft area or spare room?
Once you have a plan of a layout, as an example, two ovals and three sidings, you will then be able to work out the number of straights, curves and points needed.
I would certainly advise you not to buy second hand track and points, however the price seems a bargain. Both Hornby and Peco publish a booklet, giving suggested plans to fit a given board area, and also in the booklet a detailed list of all track pieces and their reference numbers i.e. R--- or ST---.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I suspect that a lot of Thomas devotees use the Track Mat that comes with the set which is designed for the 6' x 4' board mentioned previously.

A bit of trivia for you. Did you know that the Hornby Track Mat is the largest single photographic print in the whole world with no seams! Bet you didn't know that!

For a working layout with plenty of operating potential it is hard to beat the plan designed by Hornby especially with its modular format.

However, would anybody like to offer suggestions for improvement?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
Regarding the unauthenticated trivia - if it were ever so, it isn't now.

It's not hard to source seamless photographic prints of 8' x 4' or even 10' x 6' and even larger, super colossal ones are available to those who really want them.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE It's not hard to source seamless photographic prints of 8' x 4' or even 10' x 6' and even larger, super colossal ones are available to those who really want them.

This is not in dispute. However you may find that the production process is multi stage when you investigate further. The Hornby Track Mat is believed to be the largest single photographic print available for sale to the general public worldwide!

If you know of something bigger then please advise. I am curious and no doubt Hornby will be too!

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts