Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys brand new to modelling, about to start laying the track, but how far apart should the tracks be and what little tricks is there to ensure even spacing

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The inter track spacing is usually determined by the gap created between two points forming a crossover. Peco make a track spacing gauge. One side has the spacing for their Streamline range and gives the prototypical "6 foot" between the running lines; the other side is for their Setrack range and is much wider to suit the gap found in these "pre formed" systems - I hesitate to use the word "train set" as I do not intend to be snide about it. I have a suspicion that this wider gap is 10 feet which happens to be the gap required between pairs of running lines - ie four track stretches of mainline.

One thing niggles me about the Peco gauge - if you use insulating rail joiners between the ends of two points making a crossing, the rails are pushed further apart than the gauge allows. You could say I can leave out the insulating rail joiners but since I use Electrofrog points, it's not an option.

David

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi
"OO" track gauge depends on the type of track being used - e.g Peco Streamline type or Setrack (Hornby or Peco). Streamline is at 50mm centres on the straight and large radus curves while Setrack is 67mm.
Depending on the track type... if its Streamline type, then you may wish to open up the 50mm spacing on smaller radius curves (Under 24 inches) to prevent long coaches touching each other on adjacent lines when passing each other on these curves.
Using the little Peco plastic track gauge makes spacing the track that much easier

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 6 Sep 2008, 17:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One thing niggles me about the Peco gauge - if you use insulating rail joiners between the ends of two points making a crossing, the rails are pushed further apart than the gauge allows. You could say I can leave out the insulating rail joiners but since I use Electrofrog points, it's not an option.

David

Hi David,

I have noticed while laying track the gap after points created by the Peco insulating joiners a little too much, great for the 'clack' of carriages going through though
this is why i am contemplating using a different method to isolate them after everything is ballasted down apart from the area of the joints, then possibly use plasticard or as has been suggested elsewhere the use of milliput an option as long as it does the job to isolate then a smoother join will result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 6 Sep 2008, 22:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi David,

I have noticed while laying track the gap after points created by the Peco insulating joiners a little too much, great for the 'clack' of carriages going through though
this is why i am contemplating using a different method to isolate them after everything is ballasted down apart from the area of the joints, then possibly use plasticard or as has been suggested elsewhere the use of milliput an option as long as it does the job to isolate then a smoother join will result.
Thanks guys, I didn't know there were different dimensions for tracks, got an awfull lot to learn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts